Sporadic keyboard lag/repeating characters with UD 6950

I have a plugable UD 6950 running two external displayport displays. and one USB keyboard.

Occasionally, as I’m typing, the text appearing on the screen will lag. However, it won’t suddenly catch up and look correct. Instead, it seems to miss some characters and repeat others. Perfect example just happened as I was typing “won’t”. It showed up on screen as wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww’.

I got the latest driver from the plugable site (display adapter reports as v 8.4 in device manager), and am running an asus zenbook with windows 10. Connected through USB-C. Laptop lid is open all the time with the display extended to the additional two screens (running in 2k resolution).

This is really frustrating, the setup was otherwise super easy but this is killing me as I am doing a lot of typing.

Thank you for any workarounds or help with this.

Hello Aaron, thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear of this behavior and I will be happy to help.

Thank you for the description of the issue you are seeing. Do you happen to have a wireless keyboard or is it hardwired to the dock?

If you temporarily connect the keyboard to a USB port on your laptop, does the input lag seem to go away?

Please let us know this additional information whenever you have a moment and we will go from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks David,

The keyboard is wired - Microsoft ergonomic keyboard 4000. I’ve just tried it plugged directly into the laptop, and so far I have not been able to reproduce the issue that way.

I’ve tried multiple USB ports on the docking station, and regardless of whether it’s plugged into the front or back ports, the issue still occurs.

Due to the way my workstation is set up, I would greatly like to be able to have the keyboard connected to the docking station if at all possible.

thank you very much for any further suggestions.

Hi Aaron, thanks for the update and trying that test. From here we’ll want to send you a replacement dock to make sure that this is not being cause by a hardware issue. I will reach out to your email that you used to register on our forums to facilitate the replacement process directly.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much - I received the replacement unit today and have been testing it out. The issue seems to still be happening with the new unit, and may actually be more frequent now.

I’ve left the windows task manager open as I’m typing to see if there are any CPU, Memory, or Disk spikes right when the issue happens, but so far I’ve seen no patterns.

Anything else I might try please?

Or failing that, would I be able to run some kind of splitter cable whereby I can connect the docking station and keyboard to one end, and still have a single USB-C plug on the other end to connect to the laptop? or would I lose the benefit of the USB-C speed in that scenario?

thanks again Dave

Hello Aaron, thanks for the update and I am sorry to hear that the same behavior continues. This is very strange especially since the replacement dock worked will with our test equipment (unfortunately, we do not have the same Microsoft keyboard to test with).

If you happen to have a different wired (or wireless) keyboard to test that would be the next thing we can advise to continue isolating this behavior.

Pending that test, if possible, does reinstalling and updating the DisplayLink drivers and running the DisplayLink cleaner utility help? To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin…
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 8.5 M0 DisplayLink software, found here –> http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/…
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system which will trigger the final portion of the installation

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks David - I’ve tried another wired keyboard with the same issue. I also have another issue now - periodically and at random, both my external screens will go blank for a couple of seconds. Doesn’t seem to be anything triggering it - I can be working on the computer or sitting at my desk not touching the computer.

Going to try the disconnect and driver re-installation now. Will report back with the results.

thanks again for the help.

Didn’t help, unfortunately. Same issue even after following the steps to the letter. Anything else I could try please?

Hi Aaron, thanks for the updates and sorry to hear that those steps did not help.

I do not have steps to advise currently and we’d want to investigate some log files to dig deeper and see if any variables jump out to us. I will send a follow up email directly to you to facilitate this since we want to limit lof file transfers to email.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support