Logitech Wireless Keyboard + mouse lag

Hi there, this is my second Plugable product - I had used a ud - 3900 flawlessly for 4 years. Now I’ve upgraded I can have wonderful 4k screens but I have a terrible problem with keyboard and mouse lag. Both of these logitech products worked perfectly well with the ud 3900.

I noticed another user had similar issues here :
https://support.plugable.com/t/sporadic-keyboard-lag-repeating-characters-with-ud-6950/12012

Please help

Hey Rob, that was me that had the issue you linked.

The only thing that resolved the input lag issue for me was connecting the keyboard directly to the laptop (or via a separate powered USB hub).

I ran only the monitors, speakers, and microphone through the plugable unit connected via USB-C, and everything else (keyboard, mouse, webcam, LAN) through the separate USB hub.

It’s a bit of a clunky solve but was the only workaround that solved both the issues I was having (input lag and display drop-outs).

1 Like

Hi Aaron , thanks a lot for coming back so quickly. Yeah I guess I could do that. Your experience was very interesting to read since you had identical problems with 2 different plugable units especially since I had no such experience with the ud3900! I’d still hope that Plugable fixes it via some software update.
For the sake of completeness I’m using a logitech K350 and keyboard and an MX Master mouse and it would really suck to have to go wired peripherals to get around this.
EDIT: Actually it wouldnt solve the issue in my case since I use several laptops on the same plugable hub - and I notice if I switch out the transmitter it has to reconnect everytime with the periperhals - with the old ud3900 i could leave the transmitter plugged into a usb 2.0 port and it never gave an issue.

You bet, glad to share the info.

For what it’s worth, I also had the same issue with another brand of docking station. I believe the two plugable units and the other brand I tried all use the same DisplayLink chip. Looks like your Hub version is newer than what I had so I’m not sure if it too uses DisplayLink hardware.

If it does, it might be worth checking over on the DisplayLink forums as well: https://www.displaylink.org/forum/ as their tech folks may have some extra insight. I was talking with their support for several months; they weren’t ever able to reproduce my issue 100% but would let me know when they released a new Beta driver that may have addressed it.

Hope you can get to a solution soon.

1 Like

Hi Rob,

Hi Aaron thanks for sharing your solution with Rob!

Rob, thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

Wireless keyboard and mouse lag can be introduced through a couple of factors, the most common issues we see are related to radio interference in the 2.4GHz ISM spectrum caused by USB 3.0 devices, like the USB 3 controller in the computer and in the docking station and broadcast from USB 3 connections and ports, WiFi adapters and networking hardware, and other consumer wireless devices. We can see if this is the issue by moving the mouse and keyboard closer to the Logitech receiver connected to the docking station to see if this helps to improve the behavior.

Replacing the batteries in the keyboard and mouse can help, depleted batteries will have weaker signal strength and can cause reduced performance especially at range.

Additionally we have seen overzealous power saving settings within the Intel Management Engine Interface driver cause intermittent keyboard and mouse connectivity when connected to an external docking station. This behavior primarily affects computers with 7000 and 8000 series Intel CPUs but may affect older computers with updated Intel Management Engine software. Dell identified the issue and provides a downloadable executable here ( https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03471411M/13/Dell_Dock_USB_TYPE-C_PATCH_2K0JJ_A00_SETUP_ZPE.exe ) that applies a registry fix to disable the power saving feature responsive for this behavior.

I recommend starting by replacing the batteries,s then moving the keyboard and mouse closer to the docking station with the receiver connected to the docking station.

Please let me know if this helps and we can go from there.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hi Pat , thanks a lot for your advice. There is one USB 3.0 device connected to the hub - an external hard drive - disconnecting the hard drive from the hub seems to have magically fixed the issue (well let’s wait until the weekend I’ve only played about with it for an hour or so but initial indications are good). I have to admit to being a little disappointed in somehow not being (made) aware of this limitation but having to temporarily reconnect the external hard drive is far superior to the interference issue that I experienced heretofore. Thanks a lot Aaron & Pat once again.
Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for letting me know disconnecting the hard drive helps. Often it can just be a matter of moving the hard drive to the opposite side of the docking station from the Logitech receiver and the keyboard and mouse. For example connecting the Logitech receiver to the front port on the docking station with the keyboard and mouse in front of the docking station, and the hard drive on the back of the docking station, extended as far from the docking station as possible to help reduce any radio noise produced by the USB 3 to SATA controller and hard drive itself.

Additionally moving the hard drive to the top USB port on the rear of the docking station may help to gain some space between this device and the Logitech receiver.

Please let me know if this helps and we can go from there.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello Rob,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies