Why won't the USB 3.0 I/O card read my Seagate external HD connected to my laptop??

Hi

i got the same issue with plugable laptop card and seagate go flex 1TB (with 3.0 usb cable)
i have hp probook 4530s
The seagate works fine with 2.0 ports, but when i plug the express card and attach the power cable(to one of the 2.0 ports) that came along with it, it does not show up. my seagte beeps continously after which the LED on seagate keeps flashing.
Tried 2.0 pen drive with this card which works fine but not the external seagte. Everthing seems to be fine in the device manager. I waited 3months for this from my dealer only to know that there is some stupid firmware issue . why has not this been FIXED yet???

Mark

Hi Mark,

I’ll reply on this thread:
http://support.plugable.com/plugable/…

Hello,
I don’t know whether this topic is still alive. I had similar problem and here is my solution. Maybe it helps.

Expresscard USB 3.0 based on Nec-Renesas chipset - problem with connecting to external HDD.
AMD’s based notebook HP625, Windows 7, 64bit.

1/ See … Start-Control panel-hardware and sound-device manager-view-devices by connection-Acpi PC-Acpi compliant-PCI bus.

2/ PCI Bus In my case was AMD’s (AMD PCI Express 3GIO… ). Nec drivers didn’t work in USB 3.0 mode, only USB 2.0 mode.

3/ PCI Bus driver should be original Microsoft’s. Try to reinstall to Windows PCI Bus driver.

4/ Restart, uninstall usb 3.0 driver, restart, install driver usb 3.0, restart.
And next few attemps to restart and switch off (on) external HDD until it starts in USB 3.0 mode.
Sometimes can help to switch off both comp and HDD, first switch on HDD and then comp as second.
RJXX

I am happy to find this thread. I have a 2TB Seagate Flex external. It was working fine on this Sony Vaio when I had XP Pro. I recently upgraded to Windows 7 pro 32 bit and am attempting to get the new drivers and files installed. When I plug the Flex into the USB 3.0 it is not recognized. Nothing I plug into it works. I assumed it was the driver so did a driver update after downloading the driver for Renesas and it didn’t change the situation. The card is internal and has the 4 pin power plugged in. I have removed and replaced it and never heard or seen any indication that it was recognized by the computer as a plug and play device. The Flex works on the USB 2.0 and I am able to access the files to move back onto the HD but doing a backup was really slow. On my device manager the I do not see “Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 host controller”. I did see one indication of an error under “Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2660” “Universal Serial Buss (USB) Controller” (see image attached) but when I did an uninstall and tried to close some programs before reboot the mouse would not work. I did reboot and the mouse works but the little error symbol is still there. !](https://d37wxxhohlp07s.cloudfront.net/s3_images/848976/USB%203.0%20thread%20Renasess%20card%20not%20showing1_inline.jpg?1359203831)](https://d37wxxhohlp07s.cloudfront.net/s3_images/848976/USB%203.0%20thread%20Renasess%20card%20not%20showing1.jpg?1359203831)

“On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
‘Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will
the right answers come out?’ I am not able to rightly apprehend the
kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.”
– Charles Babbage (1791-1871) - Inventor of the first computer