Which dock can handle a 49" Ultrawide Monitor

I’m currently using the UD-Ultcdl dock to run 3 1920 x 1080 17" monitors from my Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360 laptop (has 1 Thunderbolt 4 port and 2 USB-C ports).
I plan on upgrading the 3 monitors to just one 49" ultrawide monitor. The one I’m looking at is the Samsung Odyssey G9 which is 5120 x 1440 resolution, 49in wide, 240hz.

I’m not sure that my current Plugable hub can handle it. So does Plugable have any hub in its line up that can handle such a beast?
laptop has 1 Thunderbolt 4 port and 2 USB-C ports.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! I’d be more than happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, your existing UD-ULTCDL dock cannot support this display. We do have other docks that may work, but to be fully up front at this time we do not officially support this resolution display via any of our docking stations (as we do not have a similar display here for testing purposes).

With that being said, the total bandwidth required for a 5120x1440 60Hz display is less than the total bandwidth required for 4K 60Hz (the maximum resolution we do officially support). This means that in theory this display can work from a Thunderbolt 3 dock with a DisplayPort output, we just can’t guarantee it.

Please note: In addition to this resolution not being officially supported, we also do not officially support refresh rates over 60Hz, so this Samsung 240Hz display would be quite limited in this particular area by a dock. Though, if not gaming this may be a non-issue for you.

For what dock we can recommend, because we have never tested a display like this it’s hard to make a recommendation with confidence. However, our “TBT3-UDV” may be the best bet: https://plugable.com/products/tbt3-udv This dock offers one DisplayPort output capable of 4K 60Hz, 60W of charging (same as your current dock), multiple USB ports, Ethernet, and audio.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Hi Joshua,
Thanks for the reply. I noticed that the company just came out with a new Thunderbolt 4 hub the “TBT4-HUB3C”. Would that work connecting to the monitor using a Thundebolt4/Usb-C to DP cable?

No problem!

Unfortunately this hasn’t been tested since we don’t have a display like this, but in theory our TBT4-HUB3C should work to support this monitor if the USB-C to DP adapter cable used can also properly support the resolution of your display. Our own “USBC-DP” USB-C to DP cable is only verified for up to 4K at 60Hz like our docks.

My apologies I cannot provide you with a 100% answer on this.

Best,
Josh

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.