USB Webcam Flickers

Just bought a Nexigo usb webcam and it Flickers when connected via my dock. No flicker when connected directly to the laptop.

I’ve tried all usb ports, checked the power brick connections are secure and nothing will fix it.

Anyone had this happen before, any help appreciated?

Had my TBT Dock less than a week.

Hello Alan,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

We unfortunately have no experience with this webcam model so we cannot say if this is expected behavior or not. We can say that some users have had issues with the Logitech Brio 4K webcam, however, it’s been mixed as some users have had no issues. At this time I do not believe we’ve encountered any reports of other webcams having troubles.

I’d suggest that we get more information to proceed further. We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock with the webcam attached to it into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

When emailing us the diagnostic zip file results to support@plugable.com please reference ticket “331271”.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Thanks Joshua, I have run the diagnostic tool and sent the file via email.

Hope this helps resolve the issue

Alan

1 Like

File received! I’ll take a look and see what I can find out.

Best wishes,
Josh

Hello Alan,

Looking at the diagnostics I didn’t see any immediate red flags in the software that would cause this behavior. Generally for this kind of issue I like to check to see if the system manufacturer (HP) has any BIOS updates available as we’ve seen they can improve USB communications problems with hubs/docks in the past. However, I’m unable to pull up info about your HP model:

• System Model HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ap0xxx
  • System SKU 4XJ22EA

Neither the model # or SKU # work on the HP support site to pull up your system:

I’m not sure why their search isn’t working, but you may want to proactively visit the HP support website and let it run a scan on your system, I then recommend installing any available updates (but primarily the BIOS):

If any available updates do not help, my next recommendation would be the following. Dell released a patch that changes a Windows Registry entry related to the Intel Management Engine that is not Dell exclusive which has resolved similar issues for several of our customers using a range of different host systems from different manufacturers. We recommend to try installing this patch if you have some of the aforementioned issues:
https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03471411M/13/Dell_Dock_USB_TYPE-C_PATCH_2K0JJ_A00_SETUP_ZPE.exe

If this also doesn’t help, there may be a low level compatibility issue between this webcam model and the USB hubs in our dock.

Best wishes,
Josh

Thanks Josh, I’m sure that the problem is this cheap webcam…… I purchased it from Amazon so it’s going back as faulty.

Appreciate your support on this issue, nice to have such great support.

Have a great day

Alan

A post was split to a new topic: USB Webcam Flickers and Wireless Keyboard Issues

You’re most welcome for the support!

If you run into any other issues (say with a different webcam model) don’t hesitate to let us know. We’ve seen a few reports of possible webcam issues (primarily reports of the Logitech Brio 4K) on a few different systems with this dock, but so far I don’t think there have been any solid conclusions.

Also this morning we had another report come in from a user with a similar system here: https://support.plugable.com/t/usb-webcam-flickers-and-wireless-keyboard-issues/20042

Hi Josh,

I returned the cheap webcam to Amazon as faulty and replaced it with a HDMI video capture card. I am a photographer and decided to use my Canon 5D MK3 as my webcam.

Unfortunately when I set it all up I get exactly the same issues, I know 100% that the Canon 5D is in perfect health, and the HDMI card is working fine otherwise I wouldn’t see my camera or be able to connect to my PC.

Sorry but I think I have a faulty dock, I have checked with HP and confirmed I have absolutely no updates outstanding for my HP Spectre, nor do I have any outstanding Windows 10 updates.

Would appreciate your help resolving this, I have a video of the issue

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMpgsxJVdWUAeIWa4AmFjZpaCu1OnELnW7YH-nI

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear about that.

Based on what we know I don’t think that the dock is defective, but more likely is having a low-level USB compatibility problem with your Spectre causing issues with USB video class devices. We had another customer with a similar HP system report essentially the same problem with two different webcams, so this may be a specific HP related bug between the USB hubs and the USB host controller in the system. We’ve also seen some things like this in the past with some of our older docks.

Worst case we may need to offer a return for a full refund as I do not expect a replacement will help in this scenario. However, before we resort to that, were you able to try the USB-C patch that I’d recommended earlier to see if that helps? (I was unclear if that’d been tried or not, my apologies):

"My next recommendation would be the following. Dell released a patch that changes a Windows Registry entry related to the Intel Management Engine that is not Dell exclusive which has resolved similar issues for several of our customers using a range of different host systems from different manufacturers. We recommend to try installing this patch if you have some of the aforementioned issues:

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03471411M/13/Dell_Dock_USB_TYPE-C_PATCH_2K0JJ_A00_SETUP_ZPE.exe"

Best,

Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.