TBT3-UDZ video playback issues on Razer Blade 15 Adv

I’m connected to two Dell S2716DG monitors via DisplayPort (2K @ 144Hz). The laptop is connected VIA Thunderbolt 3. Everything works great no issues except when I launch Amazon Video or Netflix thru the windows APP or web the primary display goes black then sleeps. To get the monitor to work again I have to pull power from the docking station and the monitor. If just pulling the power from the monitor works, then I can just play the video and it works fine.

I do think it is HDCP related. I have a CalDigit usb-c pro dock too and it works just fine thru thunderbolt(I bought this one because the CalDigit had artifacts at 144hz). I point this out because the issues started once i started using the TBT3-UDZ.

Thank you in advance

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

I’d like to start by gathering some diagnostics from your system with the dock attached so that we may have a better chance of determining what’s happening to cause these HDCP issues you’re experiencing.

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Please reference ticket 325487 in your email with the diagnostics.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

i sent the required files. thank you

I am also seeing issues when the computer sleeps. when I wake it it will start to wake , then struggle then the computer restarts and everything is ok.

Thanks for sending the diagnostics. We’ve received them.

In an attempt to look into the Amazon Prime / Netflix issues, I can confirm that my TBT3-UDZ dock when using either HDMI or DisplayPort outputs is allowing playback on my Windows 10 test system (an Intel NUC with Thunderbolt 3 and Intel graphics). Generally playback issues like that are indeed HDCP related, so it would seem for some reason on your system HDCP isn’t working correctly.

Interesting behavior when waking from sleep, I’ll look for any clues in the diagnostics as to what this might be caused by along with the HDCP problems.

I will be in touch as soon as possible with anything I can find out. And my apologies for these issues, they are both quite unexpected.

Best,
Josh

I wiped the machine only installed windows 10 and drivers. Installed prime app… as soon as my video starts to play …boom one display gets a second of static then turns off. You get sound but no picture. I also noticed in the Nvidia control panel that I no longer have the option for g-sync. The dock is blocking something. IS display port 1.4 backwards compatible? My monitor is DP1.2 and the cable is probably also. Thanks

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear the issue is still present after all of that work.

For the G-Sync issue, we don’t officially support G-Sync (or Freesync) through any of our Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C docks. As such I’m afraid I won’t be able to assist you there.

Are you still having the sleep issue as well?

For the HDCP issue, I still don’t have an conclusive reason why this is happening, but I am beginning to wonder if there’s something to do with systems with hybrid GPU configurations (like your Razer which would be Intel + Nvidia).

Looking at the diagnostics, at the time they were run I see that the system was reporting they were operating off the Nvidia GPU.

We can check the HDCP status in the Nvidia control panel, example below:

Can you check to see what your system is currently showing?

Also, if you install the Intel Graphics Command Center, it should show the HDCP link status if the display(s) are operating through that GPU, example below:

I’d be curious to see if HDCP reports as having an issue, or if it thinks everything is fine yet still yielding these bad results.

Best,
Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.