Display problem with TBT3-UDZ

Hello,

I have a display problem similar to one that didn’t seem to get resolved. The support ticket for that issue was 325487.

I am running an Acer ConceptD Ezel 3 Pro with one monitor attached to the HDMI port of the Acer and one attached to the first HDMI port of the TBT3. I tried running both monitors off of the TBT3 but couldn’t get it to work and assume that the Acer won’t support that. Also doesn’t seem to support the Thunderbolt charging.

Similar to mrjpsmith’s problem ( [TBT3-UDZ video playback issues on Razer Blade 15 Adv)(https://support.plugable.com/t/tbt3-udz-video-playback-issues-on-razer-blade-15-adv/19597), when I launch a video site (Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, Peacock) on the monitor connected to the TBT3 it flashes static for a second then goes blank. It will usually come back if I unplug and replug the HDMI cable. Sometimes I have to restart the TBT3. Sometimes the monitor will go blank if I launch a video site on any of the monitors. Websites without video run fine as does everything else. Sometimes the video will run if I start it on a different monitor and then move it to the TBT3 monitor. Just irritating to have to restart everytime a video comes on. I tried switching which monitor was connected to the TBT3 but the issue remained. Any ideas?

Thanks very much!

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

I’d suggest that we get more information to proceed further. We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock with the display attached to it into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

When emailing us the diagnostic zip file results to support@plugable.com please reference ticket “331162”.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Hi Joshua,

Sent the debug files this evening. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Received! Will take a look and see what I can find out.

Best,
Josh

Great. Just a little more info - since first reporting the issue I’ve a few instances where the screen disconnects randomly not having to do with a video.

Thanks

Thanks for the info!

Looking at the diagnostics I’d recommend we start by updating the drivers for both of the graphics cards in your system:

Updated Intel Graphics Drivers: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/30148/a08/igfx_win10_100.9168.exe

Updated Nvidia Graphics Drivers: https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/461.40/461.40-notebook-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe

If this doesn’t help, can you tell me the full model of your Acer system? From the diagnostics the model ID information was blank.

Best wishes,
Josh

Hi Joshua,

Updated both of the drivers to the latest and greatest, issue with the display remains the same.

The Acer model # is CC315-72G-73DF

Here are a couple of links with some specs, Acer isn’t great about publishing specs.

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-conceptd-3-ezel-cc315-72g-73df-15-6-core-i7-10750h-16-gb-ram-1-024-tb-ssd-us-international/

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/devices-systems/laptops/2-in-1s/acer-conceptd-cc315-72g-73df-H87135219.html

Also, I went with the TBT3-UDZ to get the dual displays and the host charging, neither of which are working. Can you tell if these are incompatible with this Acer model. I’m working around the display issue by plugging into the HDMI port on the Acer for the 2nd monitor. Hope we can get the monitor plugged into the TBT3 to stay on.

Thanks

Thanks for this information!

We don’t have any experience with this model I’m afraid. Some Thunderbolt 3 systems may only support a single display depending on how the laptop graphics card has been physically connected to the Thunderbolt 3 controller. Usually this isn’t well documented by any manufacturer.

The Acer specs don’t mention charging input, so I expect that’s probably not supported.

USB Type-C Detail

USB Type-C port:

• USB 3.2 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)
  • DisplayPort over USB-C
  • Thunderbolt 3

There does appear to be a newer BIOS for this system that we can try and see if it helps:
https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.08_A_A.zip?acerid=637423258296905030&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=CONCEPTD&Step3=CONCEPTD%20CC315-72G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Here’s the main support page in case you need it later: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8570?b=1

If this doesn’t improve behavior then I’d probably suggest returning this dock for a refund since it’s likely not going to be fully compatible with this system.

Best,
Josh

Hi Josh,
The bios update only dealt with touchscreen and pen issues.
I have an older Plugable UD-3900 that I plugged everything into. Everything works fine with that, no display issues. If the TBT3 is not fully compatible what am I giving up by using the UD-3900. Where will I see a difference in the connection over Thunderbolt 3 vs USB 3.0? If I return the TBT3-UDZ does Plugable have another product that you would recommend that would have any advantages over the UD-3900? My main usage is Autocad plus 3d modeling (Sketchup) on 2 large monitors plus the laptop monitor. Problem is with video content.

Thanks very much

Thanks for trying the BIOS, understood there isn’t any improvement for this particular issue.

The UD-3900 uses virtual USB graphics which are much lower performance than native Thunderbolt 3 video (driven directly from your graphics card in your laptop). Given the work you do, direct GPU access for video would be best as DisplayLink can sometimes have issues with 3D rendering programs. The UD-3900 also does not support HDCP video content (which would be problematic since you’re encountering HDCP issues like the other customer with your TBT3-UDZ currently).

To be upfront, we were not able to find a solution for the other customer’s HDCP issue after updating all of the graphics drivers, BIOS, etc. We were not able to reproduce this behavior on our test systems, but we didn’t have the same system as the other customer either. This leaves us in the same state for your system and dock.

Since the TBT3-UDZ does not appear to be fully compatible with this Acer system, it probably doesn’t make sense to keep it for only one additional display unless you’re OK connecting the second directly to your system and are OK not having functioning HDCP through the dock. (HDCP is technically supported and confirmed working on other systems, but it seems with some system and monitor combinations the support is broken. This is being investigated but we don’t have a fix at this time.)

We don’t have another product that would offer more performance with this laptop, I expect any of our other Thunderbolt 3 docks will hit the same system limitations with your Acer for no charging and only one video output. HDCP support with other Thunderbolt 3 docks and this Acer are also unknown.

My apologies!
Josh

Hi Josh,

Thanks for helping out with this. I’ll run the second monitor off the mini display port so that it will also be direct. I guess I’ll use the UD-3900 just as a USB hub for peripherals and sound. Wanted to avoid all the plugging and unplugging, but oh well.

How do I start the return process on the TBT3-UDZ?

Thanks very much!

You’re most welcome. I think using the UD-3900 as a hub would certainly work in this case, I do understand the frustration of not being able to just have one cable!

For the return process, if within 30-days of purchase on Amazon (or Newegg, Walmart, etc) you should just be able to initiate the return with them. If you’re outside of the return window let me know and I can assist further directly via email after collecting some information from you.

Thanks!
Josh

I bought it through your store on eBay on January 12th, I’ll start there on the return and reach out to you if I have any concerns.

Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.