TBT-UDC1 Linux support?

Hi folks,

I understand that the TBT-UDC1 docking station is not officially supported under Linux, but I suspect it will work with a bit of elbow grease. Someone already asked this question at https://support.plugable.com/t/linux-support/18505 but the topic ended without resolution.

I am using Ubuntu 20.04. I can see the device under “boltctl” and it is authorized. The USB ports work for mouse and keyboard, and the Ethernet works. However, I cannot seem to get it to recognize a DisplayPort display I have connected. If anyone has any tips to do so, or information I could provide that might lead to that outcome, please let me know. It seems like it should “just work” but no dice so far.

Hello Chris,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! I’d be more than happy to assist you.

What brand and model system are you trying to use the dock with? I can at least check to see if we’d expect this system to work when running Windows. If it’s expected to be compatible in Windows, then we’d know at least the hardware should support the dock correctly.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

It is a Lenovo Thinkpad P15.

In the meantime, I got it to work under both Windows and Linux. It turns out that Ubuntu was configured to use the Intel GPU. When I switched it to use the NVIDIA GPU, the display came to life without issue. All the ports work, including display, sound, USB, and Ethernet. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

That’s great news that you were able to get it working. We appreciate you sharing this solution. Hopefully it can be helpful to others in the future!

Best wishes,
Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.