Linux support?

I am wondering if anyone has tried to been successful in getting Linux to work with this dock. I have been working with it today on a Lenovo ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th gen that I have openSUSE Tumbleweed installed on and much of the device works … but not the monitors so far. Any insights?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

Plugable doesn’t officially support Linux with our Thunderbolt 3 docking stations due to varying levels of success depending upon the Linux distro used. We do know your host system should be compatible at a hardware level, we’ve verified it to work with Windows 10.

For your displays, are you using native DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables? Or are you trying to adapt the outputs to HDMI?

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer
Plugable Technologies

http://plugable.com | http://performance.plugable.com/

I am using DisplayPort to HDMI cables.

I should have also added that I tried the docking station with my 2016 12" MacBook using the supplied cable and the monitors did not work there either. I know that would have switched to the USB-C mode for that, and these are 1080p monitors, but still nothing.

Good morning!

Sorry for my delayed reply over the weekend.

If you’re using DP to HDMI cables, if they are not specifically marked as active cables, they will not function. Passive cables only work with docks that output via DisplayPort++ which we have not implemented here. As such, you’ll need to get some active adapters, or preferably use direct DP to DP for the best results.

Thanks!
Josh

Thanks for the info! I actually purchased one, on a hunch, and it should be here later today so I am hoping to be able to do additional testing at that time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.