Slow Ethernet via USB 3.0 Docking Station

I am using a Lenovo Z40 (WIN 10) which doesn’t have an Ethernet port so I’m plugging the Ethernet cable into the back of the port and using the USB 3 output into the laptop. I ran Speed Test and confirmed that download speed is only 2.9 MBs.

To eliminate the network as being the problem, I plugged the same Ethernet cable into another laptop (Win 10) (that has an Ethernet port) and reran Speed Test. The download speeds were much higher - consistently around 28 MBs

The bottleneck has to be between the Docking station and the laptop. I checked windows updates and everything is current. I also updated the DisplayLink drivers to 7.9.

Is there a driver update for Ethernet that I’m missing or any suggestions to fix the slow internet connection when going through the plugable USB 3.0 Docking Station?

Hi Tim,

Thanks for contacting us. I would be happy to help with your docking station!

Just a quick question, if there a VOIP phone between the dock and the the network connection? I have seen instances where that can cause strange behavior…

Assuming that is not the case, based on your description the first thing to check is that the speed and duplex settings are correct. DisplayLink has a handy guide on how to do this here -> http://support.displaylink.com/knowle… If you check that setting it should be set to ‘Auto’ by default, but in some cases the auto-negotiation may not work properly. If you manually set the option to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex and test the behavior again does that help?

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support