No audio/video out using USB-C with TBT3-UDC1

I’m unable to get audio and video out from my Plugable TBT3-UDC1 dock when connecting my Dell Inspiron 5593 personal laptop via USB-C. This laptop model series is listed on the Plugable website as being supported by the TBT3-UDC1. All dock functions work perfectly when I connect my Lenovo ThinkPad T590 work laptop via Thunderbolt 3.
Configuration:

• Windows 10 Home (for the Dell Inspiron 5593)
  • Original USB-C/TBT3 cable that came with the dock
  • 2 Dell S2721D monitors connected via DisplayPort 1.2 cables
  • Audio out via the 3.5mm port to Logitech speakers

Troubleshooting steps I’ve tried:

• Installation of DisplayLink Windows Driver Version 9.4 M0 from the Plugable website
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling the DisplayLink driver the following the steps outlined here:
    https://support.plugable.com/t/docking-station-not-detecting-monitor/5657
  • Disconnecting the dock, uninstalling the DisplayLink driver using DisplayLink Installation Cleaner (9.1.1462), rebooting, and then installing the DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows (10.0 M0) from the DisplayLink website.
  • Disconnecting the dock, uninstalling the DisplayLink driver using DisplayLink Installation Cleaner (9.1.1462), rebooting, and then reconnecting the dock to see if Windows would automatically install the correct driver.

Hello Rob,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

The TBT3-UDC1 does not use DisplayLink technology, so those drivers are not needed. I recommend removing them. In addition, the Dell Inspiron 5593 is not listed as a compatible model on our website: https://plugable.com/products/tbt3-udc1/

Looking at the specifications for your system, the USB-C port does not support USB-C DisplayPort video, output as such, the dock is incompatible. You’ll need to return this dock in favor of a more compatible product. I’d recommend a more traditional USB 3.0 dock.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Hi Joshua,
My mistake. I quickly looked through the compatibility list, saw Dell Inspiron at the top of the USB-C section, and then noticed that the 5590 series was listed but didn’t notice that it was for the Latitude line.

I really like the features that the TBT3-UDC1 provides with my work laptop, so I’ll probably put together a combo setup with my old UD-3000 dock.

Thanks much!
Rob

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.