HD plugged into USB 3.0 hub disconnects after returning from sleep

Forgive my frustration but we have been dealing with this since June and trusted that we were focussing on the right problem point. So it’s a bit troubling to find out the issue was Via.

I, otherwise, have no problem with your product. I will email you the information you requested.

Will new hubs purchased from Plugable have the updated firmware applied?

Any updates on this thread? I am looking at a Plugable hub but have a 2012 Mac Mini. Seems this is not recommended…

Plugable provided me with the latest version of their black four port hub. Problem gone.

It appears that mountain lion was not the problem after all.

Sure wish I could flash my old plugable hub as it’s going to waste.

Sure you can flash it. All you need is any Windows install image and it’s easy to find. Then you create bootcamp partition and install Windows, you can use it without activation for a few weeks, it’s completely functional and that’s completely legal. And, most important, that’s all you need. Flash you hub and then remove bootcamp partition. Problem solved.

Not totally true.

First you need a computer with usb 3
Or you need to use bootcamp on A mac with usb 3

My pc laptop is usb 2. So no go
My mac uses parallels. So no go

Hence nothing i can do.

Using Parallels (I use it too, BTW) does not prevent you from using bootcamp at the same time, all you need is about 20 gigs free on your boot HD.

And, BTW, if your Parallels virtual drive is physically located on your boot HD (rather than external drive), it would be advisable to install Windows in bootcamp first and THEN make Parallels to use that already existing installation. This way you will be able to use the same Windows both in bootcamp and as a virtual machine depending on the nature of what you’re doing at that particular moment. Like playing older games in Parallels while newer ones in bootcamp.

That might be so, it is indeed didn’t work on my PC, but as I said it did work on Mac, connected to your hub, in bootcamp. But not in OS X. When just playing DVD sys info shows only 500 ma required so it should work fine on any powered USB hub, even 2.0. And, let me reiterate it once more, it does work in Windows in bootcamp.

Hi Eric

Why does Amazon still warn off using the Plugable 4 port Hub still for 2012 Mac Mini and Retina Macbook? What Mac are you using?

See here: http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-4-Port…

Cheers

Because amazon keeps all comments for all versions together. The black unit shown is the newest and will not have issues as long as its on the latest firmware. I have a retina mbp

I use parallels so i dont have to use bootcamp. Whats the point of having parallels use bootcamp?

I have win xp, 7, and 8.

Well, first of all, you don’t have to KEEP bootcamp after you upgraded your hub, if you so dislike it.

But the reason to want to keep it is that graphic performance under parallels is only about a half of what you will get on the real hardware. Plus, Parallels’ virtual GPU does not support DirectX 11. A also so occasional graphical glitches even running older games. But the real reason is performance. The newer games, that really tax your hardware will work MUCH better in bootcamp than in Parallels.

Of course, if you only use Windows to run Office it doesn’t matter. But as long as your virtual HD is located on boot HD, what do you have to lose? It’s the same space, you just have more options when/if you need them. (E.g. if you did that from the beginning, you’d now have no problems flashing your hub.) But even if you have a relatively small boot HD you still can create a small bootcamp partition on it (like 30-40 gigs) for just Windows and install all your stuff on the external drive.

Thanks, Eric. Guess I can buy one of these then:)

Hi everyone-

Thanks so much for your efforts at cataloging the issues we’ve seen with USB 3 hubs on OS X!

I’m closing this thread as our product lineup has changed since this discussion started and we have newer firmware versions than those discussed here available for both of our USB 3 hubs on sale today. We welcome and appreciate your continued comments and information at the link below.

Our most up to date information regarding USB 3 Hub support on OS X, including links to our latest firmware update utilities, are all available at:
http://plugable.com/2013/01/10/plugab…

A very BRIEF summary of the state of things as of 1.29.12 is that both our current hubs, the VL811 based 4 port unit, and VL812 based 7 port hub are working fairly well on OS X, with minor issues, however applying all available OS X updates AND running the latest available firmware for your hub are critical.

Again, thanks SO much for your input and best wishes-

Jeff Everett
MCITP Enterprise Support Technician
Plugable Technologies