"Your PC Ran Into a Problem" error when connecting to desktop

Here’s what I’m trying to achieve:

• I have dual monitors with a desktop at home.
  • I have a work laptop.
  • I would like to have the two monitors connected to the docking station, with the docking station connected to the desktop tower (so it functions like a normal dual monitor setup).
  • I’d like to then easily be able to unplug the USB from the desktop and plug it into my laptop to then have a triple monitor setup for work.
  • I do NOT need to be able to use the desktop AND the laptop at the same time, I just want to easily be able to switch from home to work use by transferring the USB 3.0 from desktop to laptop.

When it’s connected to the laptop, it seems to function beautifully. The issue comes when I have the docking station connected to the desktop. When I connect a monitor to the docking station, it functions normally for a few seconds, then the screen gets jarbled and corrupted and the “Your PC ran into a problem” message comes up and the computer has to restart.

I’m curious if this is a graphics card issue, driver issue, motherboard issue, or what. It’s like my computer can’t handle the display being rerouted through the USB 3.0 rather than connected directly to the tower, and it freaks out and restarts.

Hello and thank you for posting!

Thank you as well for the detail you provided about your setup and the behavior. Since the dock is working as expected with your laptop, we know the dock itself is working properly and to focus on the desktop system itself.

There could be a number of potential causes for the desktop behavior you describe, so our next step is to get some additional information. Just after the behavior has occurred again with the desktop and the system has been reset, please run our diagnostic utility PlugDebug -> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Please send the output of that utility to us directly via support@plugable.com with ‘For Ticket #- 274304’ in the subject line. This will allow us to match things up and help determine the next steps.

Please also include your Amazon Order ID number for the UD-3900 purchase in your direct email.

** Please do not post either the PlugDebug file or the Amazon Order ID number in our public forum **

Thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I plugged a monitor into the docking station to initiate the error, then immediately ran the diagnostic upon restart and emailed it to you guys.

Thanks so much!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.