Would I be able to use the USB2-HUB10s (with 2.5A Power Adapter) in stand alone mode to power a small CPU fan?

Trying to power a small external cpu fan to circulate air in an enclosed AV cabinet…the fan is powered via a usb connection.

Would I be able to use the USB2-HUB10s (with 2.5A Power Adapter) in stand alone mode to power a small CPU fan?

Hi Bill,

In regards to your question of powering a CPU fan via the Plugable USB2-HUB10S 10 Port USB 2.0 Hub, it will probably work.

Let me explain a bit more in depth, our USB hubs are designed to operate within the USB power specifications. i.e. when the USB device is plugged into a computer, the computer will distribute 100mA to that device, then if the device requests more the computer can dole out another 500mA. Our USB hub is designed with the parameters of giving out 500mA to USB connections in mind.

As far as fans are concerned, hardware wise, most fans will simply draw the amount of power they need, ignoring the rules that most USB devices follow. This power drawing nature of the fan can cause problems if other devices are connected to a USB hub.

Do you plan on using additional USB devices on the Plugable USB2-HUB10S 10 Port USB 2.0 Hub?

If you are only using the fan on the USB hub, we believe that it will probably work, however we cannot give any guarantee that this will work.

Regards,

Stephen
Plugable Technologies

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for clarifying the power draw/distribution of the hub. The hub will only be used to power the small cpu fan. I was planning on using the hub as a stand alone device to power the small cpu fan - so would the hub still be able to provide power even though it is not connected to a computer?

Being a complete novice to electronic hardware, I am sure there were other better alternatives to powering the cpu fan.

Thanks again,

Bill

Hi Bill,

The Plugable USB2-HUB10S 10 Port USB 2.0 Hub is powered via a 2.5A power adapter. So if the USB hub is used as a stand alone power source for the small CPU fan, it should provide power to the CPU fan.

As a note, the USB hub is not really designed for this type of use, have you considered buying a wall charger for the USB fan if all you need to do is supply power to the fan?

Regards,

Stephen
Plugable Technologies

Hi Stephen,

I actually started to consider the wall charger idea after I had placed th eorder for the hub but was not familiar enough with whether or not it could’ve been used to supply power to the fan. Does plugable technologies carry these wall chargers?

As for the hub, I can still use it in the “organize my computer/desktop usb plug-ins” application mode.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

In regards to a dedicated (non-hub) wall charger, unfortunately we do not offer any of these products.

As to the hub, you are correct, you will still be able to use it for its intended functionality of organization and expansion of USB ports.

Regards,

Stephen