Work laptop wont work with usb cable

Hello, i have a Plugable 3.0 docking station that works well with my personal laptop and dual screen set-up at home, but i can’t get it to work with my company/client issued laptop and their IT engineer thinks it’s connected to how the usb ports are locked down for data security purposes, so I’m keen to understand if you can advise on a workaround or if there is a usb type b cable option that can connect to the hdmi port rather than the usb version? Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry but the docking station requires USB 3.0 and will not work connected to an HDMI port or other non-USB interface.

If USB devices connected to the docking station are functional on the system then most likely only the DisplayLink software ( https://plugable.com/drivers/displaylink ) needs to be installed. Software installation requires administrative privileges on the system and you may need to consult the IT department and have them install the DisplayLink software.

If the USB ports on the docking station are not functional when the docking station is connected to the host computer this would indicate some form of USB port blocking, unfortunately this will need to be disabled by the IT department.

I am sorry, the docking station will require local administrative privileges and possibly permission from the IT department to be installed on this system. I recommend checking with the IT department to either get permission to install the DisplayLink software or to see if they will install the software on the system for you.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, and if the IT engineer would like to reach out to us directly, they can email us at support@plugable.com with subject line “Ticket #255750 - Attention Pat”.

Thank you,

Pat

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat