With dock attached and turned on - ethernet/wifi speed is almost zero

I have an HP Omen (HP 15-dc1044na) laptop which has now become my primary work machine as my old desktop blew up.

I need the convenience of a dock so that I can move my laptop without plugging in a million cables and to drive my main display and after speaking to HP online chat, they recommended this dock.

I have a UD-ULTCDL dock which has:

• 4k HDMI plugged in (for ultrawide display - screen displays and works correctly)
  • Speakers (standard 3.5mm and work perfectly)
  • Various USB devices (phone charger, external harddrives etc… all working correctly)

I have a huge problem though with connectivity - whether I’m using the dock for ethernet or have ethernet plugged directly into my laptop or using wifi with the dock plugged in.

When the dock is powered on and plugged into my laptop and the ethernet plugged directly into my laptop (wifi turned off), pinging google.com is intermittent and very slow with my internet speed reduced to 0.2mbps. Without changing any set up and just turning off the dock, the ping quickly becomes stable and fast and my speed goes up to 16mbps.

To install I downloaded the latest 10 release. I’ve also followed the instructions and tips in all of these threads:
https://support.plugable.com/t/ethernet-port-speed-issues/19404/7
(there are others but can only put in 1 as a new user)

I’ve included a pictures of my desk setup:

I wanted to include pictures of upload/download comparisons but not allowed to as new.

Other threads I’ve followed:
https://support.plugable.com/t/slow-ethernet-via-usb-3-0-docking-station/8270
https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/613455-how-to-configure-displaylink-ethernet#link

https://support.plugable.com/t/ethernet-issues-with-ud-ultcdl-and-dell-xps-9560/18530

Hello kevinc101213,

Thanks for contacting Plugable support! I’m sorry to hear about this Ethernet issue through your Plugable UD-ULTCDL docking station, but I’d be happy to help.
Thank you for providing those pictures.
Sometimes a switch or VOIP in between these devices can cause network issues.
Can you clarify if the dock’s Ethernet cable goes directly to the router or modem?

Next, I’d like to have you temporarily disconnect everything connected to the dock (except Ethernet), then run the speed test.
That’ll help us rule out any odd peripheral contributing to this.

Next, You mentioned that you followed this KB article from DisplayLink. Would you be able to try the same steps but with the “Speed & Duplex” property, manually set to “100Mbps Full-Duplex” (instead of Auto Negotiate) to see if that changes the behavior?

CONFIGURING THE LINK SPEED

Link Speed

If these steps help, great! If not, I’d like to request some logs from your system to investigate further. Could you please keep the Plugable dock connected to your system (with the Ethernet cable still attached}, then navigate to our PlugDebug tool (https://plugable.com/support/plugdebug) and follow the instructions there?

Please email the results of the PlugDebug tool to support@plugable.com with “Ticket 330035” as the subject.

Thanks for giving us a chance to help!

Hi Omar

Thanks for your response - I’ll email over the log files but for the sake of anyone else who might be reading this, here is the update:

1. I removed all peripherals from the hub, except ethernet and powered it up
  2. I plugged it in and waited for my laptop to detect it
  3. Ran a speed test - all good! (pics below)
  4. Plugged in a USB device and reran the speedtest - all good
  5. Plugged in a webcam and reran the speedtest - all good
  6. Plugged in a USB3 hub -> speed test crumbled to 0.16mps. Removed and and reran the test - all good again. No need to really use this so binned it for now.
  7. Plugged in speakers and reran speed test - all good
  8. Plugged in monitor and reran speed test - speed was reduced again to almost nothing. Removed monitor and plugged it back directly into laptop - all good

I’ve run the log program with the monitor plugged in - clearly I need the main monitor to work :slight_smile:

Hope that all helps and look forward to your reply

Dock plugged in, wifi disabled, using dock ethernet with 2 USB dives plugged in and audio - all good!

Same as above except I’ve moved the main monitor HDMI from the laptop to the dock - speed totally collapses!

After a reply from Omar, I’ve updated my laptop to the latest possible firmware/bios and repeated the tests above (no change) and I’ve now run another debug log gathering and sent it over

When I was unplugging the cables I noticed a slight charge on the HDMI cable so I decided to replace it - BINGO!

I’m now using a brand new high quality HDMI cable and this has resolved the issue:

So to confirm the process for anyone else who comes to this thread:

1. Make sure your PC/Laptop is updated with latest OS/Updates/BIOS etc…
  2. Do a clean install of latest DisplayLink drivers
  3. Remove all devices plugged into your dock
  4. Test each one in turn and look for issues
  5. Replace any old cables!

Thanks Omar for your help :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.