Wireless keyboard and mouse periodically drop connection

Sometimes the green “usb” light on the front of the UD-3900 turns off and my wireless keyboard and mouse lose connection. After about 10 seconds I hear the Windows USB-connection tone and then they work again. Sometimes the connection never reestablishes and I have to restart the computer.

Microsoft wireless comfort keyboard 5050 and mouse.

USB dongle is connected to a USB extension cable plugged into the Plugable docking station.

Computer is a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for posting! I’m sorry to hear about this USB connection issue, but I’d be happy to help.

Generally, the first steps we’ll want to take is to make sure that the software used by the dock is in a good state by reinstalling the DisplayLink software and running the DisplayLink cleaner tool. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool (https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+Installation+Cleaner+8.4.2368.exe)
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 8.5 M2 DisplayLink software (https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+USB+Graphics+Software+for+Windows+8.5+M2.exe)
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system which will trigger the final portion of the installation

Please let me know if this helps at all!

Thank you,

Mitchell
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Mitchell, I don’t have any DisplayLink software on my computer. Nothing in Program and Features and nothing in the list of running processes. Do you still recommend that I proceed with disconnecting and reconnecting the dock?

Hi Benjamin,

Yes, please follow the listed steps as written, even if the DisplayLink software does not appear as an entry.

Once you’ve completed all the steps, please let me know about any results!

Thank you,

Mitchell
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I installed DisplayLink, but the problem remains.

I also tired updating my keyboard and mouse drivers. I will try connecting the keyboard dongle directly to my laptop and see if that improves the connection.

Hi Benjamin,

Did connecting the keyboard wireless dongle directly to your laptop help? If so, I’d like to investigate further into your system and dock.

Could you please keep the dock connected to your computer (with the dongle attached), then navigate to our PlugDebug tool (https://plugable.com/support/plugdebug/) and follow the instructions there? This will create a ZIP file on your Desktop containing system logs and information. Please send that file to us directly at support@plugable.com with “Ticket #237627” as the subject line (do not upload it here).

Thank you!

Mitchell
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Yes, no problems when directly connected to the laptop. Zip file coming by email momentarily.

Ben reached out to us directly and we were able to resolve the issue by moving the dongle for the wireless mouse over to a USB 2.0 port on the back of the dock.

Doing this helps because there was likely a RF interference issue occurring as the receiver for the wireless mouse operates on the 2.4GHz frequency band. By moving to the dongle over to a USB 2.0 port, we’re moving it out of this frequency band and we’ve found that this generally helps with this interference. We have a blog post that speaks to this in more detail for those that are interested (https://plugable.com/2017/03/17/troubleshooting-wi-fi-performance-and-wireless-keyboard-mouse-issues-on-usb-docking-stations/).

Thanks!