windows 7 aero effect turns off when using plugable usb 2.0 with external monitor

I have a plugable usb 2.0 display adapter . I also just upgraded to internet explorer on mu dell E6400 laptop. it seems when I connect a Samsung 740N in profile mode to the plugable it shuts off aero effect in windows 7. If I disconnect the plugable, aero returns. If I switch to a different monitor - like a Acer X163W, it works fine. I think it started after the upgrade to internet explorer 10 but I’m not positive about that.

Hi Paul-

Thanks for posting with your issue!

One question I’d like to clarify: by “profile mode” what do you mean? We’re familiar with portrait mode where a widscreen monitor is turned on it’s side to provide a good way to read longer pages, but I’m not sure if this is what you’re describing.

Also, can you please verify that you see the issue with the lower resolution 740N but NOT with the X163w, or is this perhaps the other way around?

Best wishes-

My mistake, you are correct, I meant portrait mode - the Samsung 740N is on it’s side and setup as portrait(flipped) in windows…

The Acer is not in portrait mode and it works fine on that monitor.

I’l do some more experimenting tomorrow and report back. I’ll display the 740N in landscape and the Acer X163W in portrait and see what happens.

Thanks for the quick reply - I love the plugable!

Hi Paul-

Thanks for confirming. I suspect one of two challenges is what you’re up against either:

1. Something with monitor rotation is my best guess
  2. Your system might just not have enough power to run the larger display with Aero.

Please do let me know if I can help with any other questions.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
MCITP Enterprise Support Tech
Plugable Technologies