Windows 10 resizes windows after turning off display.

My setup: Toshiba R835-P56X laptop -> Amazon Basics USB 3 powered hub -> UGA-4KHDMI running 7.9 Beta 2 -> Changhong UD42YC5500UA TV. The TV is the only monitor (laptop lid is closed; VGA and HDMI jacks are both empty). This configuration worked fine under Win 8.1, except for one minor hassle. The TV turns off after a few minutes of no HDMI signal, so you’d have to press its power button when bringing the PC out of monitor-off or sleep.

With Win 10, if the OS ever ‘sees’ the TV off or still powering up (which takes ~10 seconds), all windows get resized to fit in 1366X768 (laptop’s panel resolution). Then, when the TV comes ready, one window randomly gets resized to 3840X2160 and displayed on top. You must manually shrink it as desired, then reset all the other windows, which have been shrunk and piled on top of each other in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.

Also, when the TV is seen coming back on, the default sound playback device is switched to the TV’s crappy speakers, instead of the good amp and speakers connected to the laptop’s audio out jack. I could connect the amp to the TV’s audio out instead, but then there is no sound if the TV turns off (e.g. if I’m just listening to Pandora, or if a Skype call comes in when the computer is not being used).

If I carefully turn on the TV and wait for it to become ready before touching keyboard or mouse, all is well. But, the least mouse movement (door slam, desk jostled, etc.) and the windows and sound get messed up.

Any fix or workaround would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for posting. We’ve encountered some odd windows-resize behavior as well - both on display re-detect when the system wakes from sleep, or when the display is powering on/waking slowly. This seems especially pronounced with our test Seiki TV which shares the same auto-turn-off behavior as your Changhong.

Interestingly, your issue seems more repeatable that what we’ve seen here, so I’ve sent this info to DisplayLink with the hope that it’s something they can resolve with a future driver update. (In our Win10 DisplayLink blog post from a few days back, I’d noted potential resize issues as well, so I’m hoping we can get enough data points to help them solve the problem - http://plugable.com/2015/07/27/window… )

Regarding the audio issue, I do have a couple suggestions on that front. The default behavior of Windows is to automatically switch to the last-connected playback device. But when you manually set the default audio playback device, Windows should respect that setting even when new devices are connected.

So let’s try this: when Windows switches to routing audio through the Plugable adapter, right click the speaker icon in the system tray/taskbar and go to “Playback Devices”. In the Sound window that comes up, you should be able to right-click on your built-in audio playback device and chose “Set as Default Device”. After doing so, Windows should continue to output through the laptop rather than USB.

Please let us know if this audio settings change does the trick.

Thanks!
Gary

Hi Gary,

Many thanks for the quick reply. My audio problem is solved!

I also learned a little more about the window resizing. It’s not caused when the TV is off, but while it is coming up.

I can do the following without windows getting messed up:

1. With PC operating normally, turn off TV. Internet radio continues to play.
  2. Turn off power switch on Logitech laser mouse, to prevent unwanted wakes.
  3. Put computer to sleep (Win-x, u, s). Radio stops, of course.
  4. Turn on TV and wait for it to display “weak or no signal”.
  5. Power mouse on and move it. (Can’t wake with keyboard because it’s plugged into a USB jack that’s powered off in sleep.)
  6. Audio resumes and display comes on with all windows as they were.

Hope this is useful.

I’d be glad to beta-test any new drivers.

Thanks again,

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

Excellent, glad to hear the annoying audio issue is resolved.

Also, appreciate the additional notes regarding repro steps on the sizing issue. Hoping it’s something DisplayLink’s engineers can resolve at the driver level as opposed to an OS or GPU driver issue. (Much easier for all involved if DisplayLink can address this rather than trying to engage Intel or Microsoft on this type of issue.)

Appreciate the offer to beta test as well. Sometimes DisplayLink is willing to allow public beta testers, and other times they choose not to. Once we get a bit more clarity about their approach I’ll let you know.

Thanks!
Gary