Windows 10 - hdmi connect - no option to duplicate/mirror display

Hi,

Got an i3-2310 Acer laptop - windows 10 Home 10.0.18363 - intel graphics 3000 - video bios 2119.0 - directx 11.0. - dell st220 monitor

Installed all latest drivers - and my problem is that I do not get an option to duplicate/mirror monitor - when using the dock - but do when i direct connect via hdmi laptop to monitor.

All other options extend/set 1/set 2 as primary all work fine through the dock - just no option to duplicate - under system settings.

Use Windows-P - all options appear - including duplicate at all times.

If hdmi cable is in docking station - select duplicate causes it just to extend - if hdmi cable in laptop - then it duplicates.

At a lose now - any idea what could be going wrong?

Hi,

Thanks for posting!

Typically, when we’re unable to duplicate an external display through the docking station, it is because the graphics card of the system needs to be updated with the latest graphics driver from Dell.

DisplayLink has a support article about this that explains just that: https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/938634-no-option-to-duplicate-monitors-on-windows-10

EDIT: Unfortunately, I noticed you mentioned the Acer system uses Intel HD Graphics 3000. This is one of the older graphics drivers thatdoes not actually have driver support for Windows 10… As a result, it will not be possible to duplicate your external display through the dock.

DisplayLink recommends a workaround of a 3rd party tool to mirror the screens named Actual Multiple Monitors.

Sorry there is no clean solution here. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you!

Mitchell

Mitchell,

Thanks for the response - good to know that I wasn’t just being stooopid! - but basically old hardware can’t be kept going for ever !

Looks like time for new laptop/desktop.

Thanks for the update - much appreciated.

regards
brendan

Hi Brendan,

Glad this information was helpful, although I’m sorry it’s not particularly a good solution.

I’ll be closing this thread, but if you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to open a new topic or contact us directly at support@plugable.com. We’re glad to help.

Best wishes,

Mitchell