Win7 64bit unable to recognize Seagate 3TB Barracuda through USB 3.0 I/O card

My card has the Renesas uPD720202 USB 3.0 host controller chipset. I have Win7 64 bit OS, but an older MSI mobo with AMI Bios. Windows recognizes the I/O card drivers, and I’ve updated to the latest firmware, but I can’t get windows to recognize the external HD that I’ve installed inside Mediasonic HD6-SU3-BK single bay HD enclosure. Sometimes WIndows will show USB Mass Storage device in device manager without errors, but it will not plug and play recognize the HD. Other times, it will show the device but with an error saying that this cannot start (Code 10). I’m new to external HD’s, but this is a brand new drive, so do I need to preformat it first?

Hi Kevin-

Thanks for contacting Plugable support, we’ll be happy to help!

Firs, I’d like to make sure I’m understanding the issue correctly. Please let me know if any of the following isn’t correct or if you haven’t already checked any of the following:

1. The PCI Card is listed reliably in device manager as a Renesas USB 3.0 Host controller.
  2. Other USB devices work normally and reliably when connected to the PCI card.
  3. The code 10 device cannot start error is listed for the Mediasonic HD6-SU3-BK.

If all the above is correct, I think we’ll want to focus on the Mediasonic HD6-SU3-BK. If you’re seeing other issues with the PCI card device please let us know, however if the only device throwing an error is the Mediasonic checking for a firmware update for that device is a good next step. I searched for the product and found only a blank support page, perhaps contacting their support department to see if other issues with the device are known or if it is failing could be helpful: http://mediasonicinc.com/store/produc…

Some other generic code 10 troubleshooting steps are here if you’d like to work ahead: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbye…

I hope this helps, please let us know if you’ve any other questions.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
MCITP Enterprise Support Technician
Plugable Technologies

Actually, the issue was the hard drive itself. I was able to get another HD and it worked fine.