Will work USB3 to Ethernet Adaptor work on Apple Network using a Time Capsule

Hi - I want to add an USB3 to Ethernet adaptor to my Apple Airport Extreme so that an external USB3 drive I am using will get faster speeds. Will your adaptor work for this? Does it need any software installs? I use Mountain Lion, Windows 7 and a Synology NAS (DS1511) on my network. Thanks

Hi Anurag-

Thanks for posting with your question.

Since driver installation is required for any USB network device, and there is no mechanism for users to install drivers on the Airport Extreme, no, this would not work.

Normally I would recommend connecting the ethernet on the NAS directly to the Airport’s ethernet ports instead.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question: I don’t understand the need for an adapter in this setup since the airport extreme already has gigabit ethernet ports.

Please let me know if you have other questions or if there’s something I’m not understanding.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technologies

Hi Jeff

Thanks for your reply - sorry I may not have made myself clear. My basic problem is that having purchased an USB 3 capable external drive I would like to enjoy these speeds on my Network. The Apple Airport has an USB port but this is restricted to USB 2 speeds. To get round this I thought of purchasing your adaptor (Plugable USB3-E1000 USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter) which would allow me to connect the drive to the Airport via ethernet. As it is a USB 3 adaptor I was hoping to enjoy full speeds. Could you advise me if this would work and would I get full USB 3 capable speeds via ethernet?

Thanks again

Hi Anurag-

Thanks for clarifying.

Since driver installation is required for any USB network device, and there is no mechanism for users to install drivers on the Airport Extreme, unfortunately, this would not work at all.

Sorry I can’t offer a better answer here.

Best wishes-

Jeff