Will the UD-3000 work with Microsoft's Surface Pro?

• Is it compatible? I saw a review on amazon that said it didn’t work w/ Windows 8
    If it is compatible:
    Can I download drivers instead of using a CD since the Surface has no CD drive?
    Will the resolution be correct? (1st setup will be w/ Samsung XL2370HD)
    Will I benefit from the LAN port since the Surface pro is only wifi?
    Can standard powered speakers be plugged in?
    Anything else we should know regarding working with the Surface Pro?
    Thanks!

Hi Lonny,

Thanks for posting your question here! Yes, the Plugable UD-3000 is compatible with the full Windows 8 version that comes with Surface Pro.

If Windows Update is enabled and the system has Internet connectivity when the Plugable UD-3000 is connected to the system for the first time, the drivers for the product would be automatically downloaded and installed if you are logged in as a user with administrative rights on the system. Otherwise you would have to do a manual install of the drivers which can be downloaded from http://plugable.com/products/UD-3000/…

Once the drivers are installed, you would be able to use wired Ethernet on the Surface Pro via the Plugable UD-3000. Speakers can be connected via the audio port on the Plugable UD-3000.

When Windows 8 released, there were lots of issues that we were seeing. For some time we even recommended users not to use our product with Windows 8. Here is a link to our post with all the details regarding this: http://plugable.com/2012/10/27/window…

With the latest drivers and firmware most of the issues have been fixed. We currently have many users who use the Plugable UD-3000 on Windows 8 (including Surface Pro) with absolutely no issues at all.

DisplayLink (the manufacturer of the chipset inside the Plugable UD-3000) is working on tying to eliminate the remaining issues like Silverlight video and Metro App video applications not working because of tightened DRM policies. However we do not know if and when these issues would be resolved.

Hope the above information helps in making decisions!

Regards,
Roze