Wifi lost connection after installing DisplayLink_7.8M0 driver

I don’t have a Ethernet cable in my office, I am only using Wifi.
When I installed the DisplayLink_7.8M0 driver, the Wifi-connection on my laptop did not work anymore (could not connect to my Wifi)
I am using the Dual Head Graphics Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. Can I use this without Ethernet cable connection and still be able to connect via Wifi?

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for posting. I’d be happy to help with your adapter!

Any time you connect a USB 3.0 device to your system (not just our products) there is potential for interference with a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network as the USB connection operates in a similar frequency range, and it sounds like that may be happening in your case. The most common solution is to connect the adapter to a different USB port on your system, preferably on the opposite side if you are using a laptop. If you move the adapter does that allow the Wi-Fi to work properly?

Let us know if that helps when you have a moment and we’ll go from there.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks for the reply. The explanation sounds reasonable, but before I try this I want to make sure that there is no other issue related to the driver software itself. Even when the USB was not connected the wifi didn’t work. I had to de-install the software to make the wifi-connection work again. (OS Windows 7 professional)
Any explanation for that?

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for getting back. Sorry if I misunderstood the specifics earlier. I have not encountered an instance where simply installing the DisplayLink driver for the adapter caused a Wi-Fi connection to stop working, so the behavior is most unusual. Can you let me know more details about the version of Windows you are using and the specific model of laptop you are using? In addition to that information, while the driver is uninstalled and the WiFi is working can you run our diagnostic utility PlugDebug –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug , and then try re-installing the DisplayLink driver a second time to see if the Wi-Fi stops working again?

If it doesn’t, great! If it does, please run the PlugDebug utility a second time and send both files to support@plugable.com with ‘Ticket 119205’ in the subject line? (you can alter the file names to let us know which is which) This will allow us to examine the logs from both states of the system to help us determine the next steps.

Thank you,

Bob

Hi Bob,
Sorry for the late response, I was traveling.
I installed the driver again and moved the plugable box further away from the laptop to avoid interference. Now it works.
Thanks for your help.
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for getting back with the update, and no need to apologize :slight_smile:

I’m glad everything is working properly now. Please let us know if you need any help in the future!

Thank you,

Bob