Why is there no power button on the UD-3900?

Hi. Just purchased a UD-3900, hooked up an HP Pav with 2 external monitors. Initially used all 3 screens, then just 2 - disconnected the laptop monitor to save screen burn. Happy other than intermittent erratic mouse behavior . Wondering why there is no power button to completely shut down my setup. For now I use a power strip so i turn it off there. Thanks!!!

Hello and thank you for posting!

The UD-3900 docking station is designed to remain powered on at all times so it can be ready to go when needed. The dock cannot power down the host laptop via a USB connection, such a feature would require an older ‘mechanical style’ docking station that connects to the laptop via a proprietary port on the bottom of the laptop.

In regard to the mouse behavior you mention, the most common cause for intermittent erratic mouse behavior is wireless (RF) interference when using a wireless mouse.

Assuming for the moment that you are in fact using a wireless mouse, please ensure that the USB wireless receiver ‘dongle’ is located in one of the top-most USB 2.0 ports on the back of the docking station as that location helps prevent wireless interference. We speak to this behavior in more detail in our blog post on the topic (under the ‘RF interference’ section) → https://plugable.com/2017/03/17/troubleshooting-wi-fi-performance-and-wireless-keyboard-mouse-issues-on-usb-docking-stations/

Please let us know if that information helps or if you have any additional questions!

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies

Thank you for the response. I was just wondering if I was missing something like a hidden button somewhere… I was not concerned with the laptop powering down via the port, but just the overall electricity savings of shutting down everything. As I mentioned, all the peripherals I have hooked up on my “workstation” is powered via a single power strip so i can just power down that way. I will try the mouse dongle suggestion and see if it helps. I saw another post about a Dell fix to a windows registry that may also help. Thanks again

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.