Why doesn't my Elgato game capture connect sound with my Plugable 3.0 docking station

So my Elgato game Capture HD60 s works perfectly fine when I connect it to my laptop but when it is plugged into the Plugable 3.0 docking station through the usb 3.0 port it does allow video to show on my tv but it doesn’t allow sound but there have been short periods of times when it would play some sound then immediately turn off. The Elgato software also only believes it is a usb 2.0 port so I was wondering if it really was 2.0 ports or if there wasn’t enough power going to the usb 3.0 port or something else.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Hunter,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I am sorry to hear that you are running into this issue, but I would be more than happy to assist!

When you connect the individual Elgato Game Capture device to the docking station, inside of Recording devices, is Elgato Sound Capture set as the default communication device, and while it is connected are you running the Elgato Sound Capture HD application? Also, are you connecting the Elgato to the front USB ports on the docking station, or the rear?

Thank you for your time,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

We attempted to reach out to Hunter to obtain some additional information, and work through some basic troubleshooting to see what could be causing the problem, but did not receive any response back.

If Hunter would like to continue troubleshooting, or any one else is experiencing similar issues, please feel free to reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com, and we would be more than happy to assist!

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

I’m very sorry I must have forgot to check the website for some reason I expected to get an email the first time your replied.
But I do connect the USB to the front port but I don’t completely understand what you mean by if the Elgato Sound Capture is the default communication device.
Again my sincere apologies.

Hi Hunter!

I am so glad that you were able to respond! I just wanted to verify that you were using the individual USB 3.0 ports on the front.

El Gato Capture devices require either individual audio output to be controlled by the El Gato Sound Capture software, or via the Passthrough ports on the capture card, when using OBS.

If you connect the El Gato, and then check the “PlayBack devices” menu inside of the audio settings, which device is set as default? Are you connecting a specific console to the capture card, or is it occurring on any connected HDMI device?

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

It’s actually saying that the device doesn’t have a signal now.
But it know that the Elgato is connected which is weird.
It does say that the Elgato Sound capture though is the default device for playback.
And I connect the elgato to a ps4.

Hi Hunter,

Thank you so much for letting me know! The El Gato Capture card can be a tricky item to utilize, even when connected directly to the system. Are you utilizing the OBS software for streaming or recording, or the supplied El Gato Capture HD software?

Due to the required transfer amount, and data that is being transmitted, it may not be optimal to connect the El Gato via the docking station, as it could create performance related issues.

If you disconnect the AC Adapter from the docking station, and remove the El Gato USB cable from the docking station, and then wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect them, does the same behavior occur?

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

We attempted to continue troubleshooting the issue with Hunter to see what could be causing the problem, but did not receive any response back after sending over the request for additional information, and some troubleshooting steps.

If Hunter would like to continue troubleshooting, or any one else is experiencing similar issues, please feel free to reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com, and we would be more than happy to assist!

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support