Which adapter / dock do I need for this particular setup ? (Thunderbolt 4)

Hello,

I own a Razer Blade Stealth late 2020 equiped with 2 TB4 ports. I bought an OWC Thunderbolt 4 dock thinking I would be able to plug 2 1440p@60 screens using only one TB4 port but this does not appear to work.

Which plugable product should I buy to be able to use my 2 external display through this OWC dock ?

The product should also work in the same configuration with an M1 Mac as I could buy one later this year.

Thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:

Hello Pierre-Louis,

Thank you for reaching out to Plugable support and providing a clear description of the goals you’re looking to meet.

What is the model and/or connection type of the monitors you are currently using?

This information would allow me to make a better recommendation.

Thank you for allowing us to help!

Hello,

I’m using two Dell S2721D monitors which accept both HDMI and DP ports.

My laptop only has 2 TB4 ports so I can use either TB4 to DP cables or adapters.

Thanks for your help.

Hello Pierre-Louis,

Thank you for that information.

Our TBT3-UDZ dual display docking station would be a great match for your Razer Blade Stealth laptop.

This docking station offers a choice between dual HDMI and DisplayPort displays via a single Thunderbolt 3 connection.

Our Thunderbolt 3 dock will have no issues driving both of your Dell S2721D monitors.

The product should also work in the same configuration with an M1 Mac as I could buy one later this year.

The M1 MacBook Pro and MacBook Air only support a single external display per Apple specifications due to limitations with the M1 graphics.

Unfortunately, two monitors will not be possible with any Thunderbolt 3 dock, such as our TBT3-UDZ docking station with these first-generation M1 systems.

Alternatively, we offer USB graphics solutions that use a technology called DisplayLink, which can get around this single native display limitation.

A great option for the M1 MacBook and Razer Blade laptop is our UD-ULTC4K triple display docking station.

This dock features 3 video outputs, including 1x HDMI 1.4 output capable of 4K 30Hz, and 2x DisplayPort 1.2 (DP++) outputs capable of 4K 60Hz.

This adapter would allow you to drive up to three displays via a single USB-C connection to your M1 Mac and Razer Blade laptop and function great for general office or productivity use.

However, one important detail to keep in mind is that you will need to install the adapter’s DisplayLink application manually. You can refer to the following blog post for installation instructions for Big Sur: https://plugable.com/2020/11/13/plugable-displaylink-products-and-macos-11-big-sur-macos-10-15-catalina-and-macos-10-4-mojave/.

We also have a blog post covering more details about adding monitors to M1 Macs if you’re interested: https://plugable.com/blogs/news/how-to-connect-more-external-displays-to-apple-silicon-m1-macs.

I buy to be able to use my 2 external display through this OWC dock ?

Lastly, our thunderbolt 3 docks are recommended to connect directly to the host system. This should work as expected via the OWC Thunderbolt Hub based on the specs. We cannot guarantee functionality since this is not a configuration that we have tested.

I hope I was able to answer your question!
Please reach out with any additional questions or concerns.
Thank you for considering Plugable!

Thank you Omar,

I’ll give the UD-ULTC4K a try as I decided to change my Razer for the M1 Macbook Pro last week.
Thank you for your help.

@OmarD

Following your advice I went on Amazon to buy this : Plugable Station d’accueil USB-C 4K à Triple Affichage avec de Chargement pour Les Systèmes Spécifiques USB-C et Thunderbolt 3 Windows et Mac (1 Sortie HDMI, 2 Sorties DP++, 5X Ports USB, 60W USB PD): Amazon.fr: High-tech

But in the product description it’s written that it doesn’t support MacOS.

I’ll receive my M1 Macbook in a few days, would there be another plugable product which is better suited to this computer or is this one the only one to go ?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Pierre-Louis,

Thank you for reaching out with that additional information.

Our UD-ULTC4K docking station wouldn’t have an issue connecting three displays to your M1 MacBook.

Please note, due to an update in macOS from mid-January, our UD-ULTC4K docking station may not be correctly detected by Apple’s M1-based computers on startup. This affects the UD-ULTC4K docking station and connected USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices, including the two DisplayPort outputs controlled by the DisplayLink USB Graphics chipset, the HDMI 4K output, and the connected display will most likely be functional after reboot.

Until Apple issues an update that resolves this detection issue, we recommend unplugging the docking station from the computer, then reconnect it after macOS has completed loading. We are hopeful this will be resolved by an update to macOS but do not have a timeline for such a resolution.

Additionally, this dock would be the best option for this system based on your needs.

I hope I was able to answer your questions!

Please feel free to reach out with any other questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Thank you a lot for your availability. I’ll go with the UD-uLTC4K then.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.