Where is the audio output going? It's around here somewhere!

Running an Asus Vivobook S500Ca connected to Plugable 3900, with 2 monitors connected to Plugable (using DVI-D and HDMI). Running Windows 8.1.

No sound, and the simple “mixer” applet in Win 8.1 is no help.

Connecting audio output through the laptop’s internal speakers is OK (but not able to make this happen).

Connecting audio through the HDMI-connected monitor is OK (DVI does not support embedded audio) (but not able to make this happen).

Since you guys are wizards at everything, I figured I’d ask you for suggestions. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting your question here! Windows only allows audio to play through the default audio playback device.

Usually when the dock is connected to the system, it get assigned as the default audio device. On Plugable UD-3900, audio does pass through the HDMI port to a monitor’s speakers as long as Plugable Audio is set as the default playback device and no speakers are plugged into the audio port on the dock.

If you connect speakers through the audio jack on the dock, then audio will flow through it instead of through the speakers on the monitor connected via the HDMI port.

If you want to have audio flow through the laptop’s internal speakers, then you would need to make that the Default Playback device.

To do that on the desktop, click on Start (or press Windows logo key + X), click on Control panel and select ‘Hardware and Sound’ and then click on ‘Sound’. This will bring up the list of available audio devices. You can right-click your laptop’s built-in audio and click “Set Default” to make it the default playback device for sound output. Windows will persist this setting.

Once you change the default audio output device to the laptop speakers, all sound will be coming through it instead of going to the Docking Station’s Audio ports.

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Roze

Thanks for the quick response, Roze.

Yes, the default audio device was automatically assigned to the Plugable dock. Selecting the laptop’s internal speakers works, thank you for the help.

I tried selecting the Plugable dock as the default audio device, but no audio seems to be coming through. No speakers are connected to the dock, so I’m expecting audio output on the HDMI-connected monitor. So far, nothing, after checking the monitor’s audio settings. I have not verified that the monitor’s speakers are working, so there is still the possibility that the Plugable dock is doing the right thing.

Again, thanks for steering me in the right direction, your help is much appreciated.

Bob,

Thanks for the kind words! Glad to know that the audio is playing through the laptop speakers after setting that as the default playback device.

When you do get a chance, please do try connecting speakers through the audio ports on the dock and set the dock as the default playback device to see if audio flows through that or not.

And once you get a chance to verify that the monitor speakers are working, please do set the dock as the default playback device, make sure no speakers are connected to the audio port on the dock and let us know if audio does/does not play through the HDMI connection.

If audio does not play through the dock, as expected, please do shoot us an email at support@plugable.com with your amazon order ID and a link to this thread. We will help troubleshoot to figure out what could be causing the issue and how to resolve it.

Regards,
Roze