Hi Julian, thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear of this behavior and I will be happy to help.
Based off of your description there could be a few different things occurring. First, we will want to reinstall the DisplayLink software and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool to make sure that the software is in a good state. To do so, please follow these steps:
- Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
- Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
- Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here --> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin… and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it -> https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)
- Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
- Now download and install the 8.2 M1 DisplayLink software, found here --> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin…
- Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system which will trigger the final portion of the installation. If the device is not detected, please click the ‘Skip’ button to allow the process to complete and then reboot the system.
If these steps help, great! If not, we’ll want to examine some log files to see if they can tell us what is happening. To help us do so please download and run our diagnostic utility PlugDebug --> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug just after the behavior has occurred and you have restarted so we can try and capture the behavior. Please send us the file that is created on your Desktop to our direct support email address at email@example.com with ‘Ticket Number 186723’ in the subject line. We will match everything up and determine next steps from there.