what's the buzz?

Using Plugable uga 165 with a Vista OS. I’m running audio out of the headphone/ext spkr jack on the computer and into a stereo amplifier. I get a background hum and a static that seems to pulse at the same rate that the green led on the Plugable box pulses. I’d blame it on the stupid Vista OS, but I have another Vista machine that works just fine with the unit. Any ideas?

By the way, I don;'t get any audio on the HDMI feed, so no sound from the tv itself.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for contacting Plugable support. I’m sorry about the buzz that seems linked to the UGA-165. I have some troubleshooting questions to try to get to the cause.

1. Do you only hear it when the UGA-165 adapter is connected to this computer?

2. Have you tried a different cable to connect the stereo to the unit?

3. Do you have any power adapter wires that are comingled with the various data cables connecting your devices to the computer? Have you tried reposition these power cables?

4. Are your power cables attached to a surge-suppressing power strip? Do you have one you could try here to see if it makes a difference.

Also, when you were saying you don’t get any audio on the HDMI feed, were you referring to the HDMI connection between the UGA-165 and your display? The UGA-165 is only capable of a video connection over HDMI, not audio. I’m not sure if you were expressing an interest in enabling such a feature, but if so, I’m sorry it’s not available.

Just reply to let me know the answers to the troubleshooting questions and whether they helped to eliminate the buzz.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

>1) Do you only hear it when the UGA-165 adapter is connected to this computer?

That is correct. Other computers work fine. The stereo also works fine unless hooked up to the audio output of this computer when the Uga-165 is attached. When running a straight audio signal out of the computer, no noise. So just thsi computer, a Sony Vaio running Vista.

>2) Have you tried a different cable to connect the stereo to the unit?

Yes. No change.

>3) Do you have any power adapter wires that are comingled with the various data cables connecting your devices to the computer? Have you tried reposition these power cables?

Both DC and AC power supplies and wires are physically separated from audio and video feeds.

>4) Are your power cables attached to a surge-suppressing power strip? Do you have one you could try here to see if it makes a difference.

I can try that. But I am almost certain that this noise is an artifact of the video signal. Every once in a while the green light remains on constantly (rather than flashing rapidly), and the noise goes away, plus, as I noted, the speed of the pulsing audio signal matches the speed of the led flashing. And if there is no video signal, i.e., when the audio of a streaming video is playing but the video signal hasn’t yet started, all is well, sound-wise. AS soon as the video signal is sent to the television, however, the noise begins.

>Also, when you were saying you don’t get any audio on the HDMI feed, were you referring to the HDMI connection between the UGA-165 and your display?

I realized after I posted thsi that the adapter doesn’t do audio. I’d forgotten that. Of course, that’s the whole reason I use the hookup I described.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the feedback.

Three more quick questions:

1. Have you tried the adapter on all the USB ports on this computer to see if that makes any difference in the buzz?

2. Have you tried the adapter on this computer and hooked up the stereo but disconnected any other external devices. Any difference?

3. Have you tried a different HDMI cable between the adapter and the display?

I’m just trying to isolate what is causing the interference when using the adapter on this computer. It doesn’t sound like the adapter alone since it causes no issues on other computers. I’ll look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Aaron

>1) Have you tried the adapter on all the USB ports on this computer to see if that makes any difference in the buzz?

Yes. I’ve also tried wiggling the cable at the connectors, and using a different USB cable, but it’s not a mechanical thing.

>2) Have you tried the adapter on this computer and hooked up the stereo but disconnected any other external devices. Any difference?

The only input to the stereo comes from a 4-channel switch box, whcih I have bypassed. Makes on difference.

>3) Have you tried a different HDMI cable between the adapter and the display?

Good idea. But I can;'t find another HDMI cable, and before I kick down the dough for one, I am gonig to try something I’ve wanted to do for a long time, which is to replace Vista with XP. I think this might be an issue in my computer–this is easily the worst, buggiest, most frustrating compu8ter I’ve ever owned, so it doesn’t surprise me that it’s doing something strange with the adapter. It also sounds like this problem isn’t ringing a bell at your end, but if you have any other ideas, let me know. Meantime, I;'m starting the OS conversion now.

Hi Gary,

OK, keep me posted.

On No. 2, I was referring to other devices unrelated to the stereo or the adapter (e.g., external drives, scanners, printers). Basically I’m looking for anything else connected to this computer that could be causing interference. But maybe it already is just the UGA-165 and the stereo that are the only connected accessories.

OK, let me know how it goes after the Vista removal.

Best,

Aaron

For future reference–no other peripherals on the computer.

Hi Gary,

Did the re-install help?

Thanks,

Aaron

I haven;t finished it yet. True to form, the computer is resisting the re-install. I’ll let you know as soon as I get it done.