What does it mean when the power light flashes on HDD docking station?

What does it mean when the power light flashes on HDD docking station? I insert a HD turn on the power to the docking station and the power light flashes. The drive does not show up in disk utility.

Hi Diane,

Thanks for your question about our HDD docking station. The light flashes when there is activity on the drive. There can be a number of reasons why a disk does not show up. Can you say more about your setup? Are you running OS X, if so what version? Is this a new disk or is it already formatted and have data on it? If so, what type of machine was it formatted on? Does it work otherwise? Do you have another disk you can insert into the HDD docking station?

Thanks for your replies with this extra detail!
Jerome.

OS X 10.5.8
refurbished disk new out of the antistatic bag
no partition, no formatting
I partitioned and loaded OSX on 6 other drives from the same order but this one the power light flashes and the drive doesn’t show up in Disk Utility.

Hi Diane,

Thanks for the additional detail. Is it possible to verify that the dock is working with another drive? It’s possible that the refurbished drive is faulty. Do you have any way to test the drive with another dock or connected internally to a system?

Let me know what you find,
Thanks for your troubleshooting,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies.