want connect to network

intalled and and network connection setup in windows. pluged in usb2-e1000 asix ax88178g then network cable, no link light. running windows 2003 server operating system as a stand alone machine. machine not talking to network. help?
thanks- bob

Hi Robert,

Thanks for contacting Plugable support. I’m sorry the adapter isn’t connecting your server to the network right now. I have one question right now that will determine the rest of the support process.

Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 2003?

If you are unsure, here’s Microsoft’s advice on how to find out:

If you have Windows Server 2003, there are two methods to determine whether you are running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version. If one does not work, try the other.

Method 1: View System Properties in Control Panel

• Click Start, and then click Run.
  • Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  • Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
    ----For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition appears under System.
    ----For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition appears under System.

Method 2: View System Information window
-Click Start, and then click Run
-Type winmsd.exe, and then click OK.
-When System Summary is selected in the navigation pane, locate Processor under Item in the details pane. Note the value.
----If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with x86, the computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows.
----If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with EM64T or ia64, the computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows.

Just reply to this message to let me know which version you’re using, and I’ll get back with more information.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

Aaron- Thanks for the reply. The processor is x86 family 15 model 4 stepping 7 genuineintel 2800 mhz. So we are running 32-bit windows server 2003.

Please follow-up. I’m going home (7:30PM eastern us). I’ll read your reply in am.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Robert,

Thanks for this information. I can’t guarantee the suggestion I’m about to make will work, because ASIX does not make a driver for this adapter that’s specifically for the 32-bit version of Windows 2003. But what I believe is the best approach is to

1. Disconnect the adapter and uninstall whatever drivers you previously installed.

2. Download the following 32-bit drivers for XP/2000: http://www.asix.com.tw/FrootAttach/dr…

3. Unzip them to a location.

4. Plug in the adapter and install drivers manually rom the Found New Hardware wizard.

5. Point to wherever you unzipped the drivers in step No .3.

Let me know if this is A) what you already tried unsuccessfully or B) doesn’t work properly. If the answer is B, let me know where things don’t go according to my directions.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

Hi Robert,

Hello again from Plugable. I’m just checking if the 32-bit drivers for XP/2000 did work for you. Let us know at your convenience.

Best Regards,

Aaron