Wandering Mouse. Inadvertant clicking.

I have installed a Plugable 3.0 USB docking station to a Dell Ultrabook. Since installing the mouse has started wandering around screen and clicking open programs. I have changed out mouse with no change. It does not happen when computer is not on docking station.

Hi David,

Thanks for getting in contact with us, I’d be more than happy to assist you with your Plugable docking station. In order to better assist you, we’ll just need some additional information:

1. Is the mouse you are using wireless or wired?

2. Is there any other odd behavior apart from the issue with the mouse?

3. Does the mouse roaming/clicking only happen when the mouse is connected via the docking station? (e.g. Does it happen at all if you connect the mouse directly to the computer, while the docking station is still connected?)

Regards,

Stephen
Plugable Technologies

I am having the same issue. Below are my answers to the questions you asked.

1. Is the mouse you are using wireless or wired?
    Wireless

2. Is there any other odd behavior apart from the issue with the mouse?
    My Dell Latitude 6430 u is a lot slower when docked and when I plug in or dock, my screen will go black or will not display to my dual monitor setup at all. Even after unplugging and plugging back in it will not display. Also note that I am using two external monitors, not my actual laptop.

3. Does the mouse roaming/clicking only happen when the mouse is connected via the docking station?
    Yes

(e.g. Does it happen at all if you connect the mouse directly to the computer, while the docking station is still connected?
It’s wireless, doesn’t not connect directly. The mouse works fine when the computer is not docked.

Hi David,

Thanks for getting back to me with those details.

First, instead of using the laptop with the lid closed and the UD-3900 monitors as the only screens, can you keep the laptop open and the screen activated. Does the mouse roaming behavior happen when using this setup?

In addition, you indicated that the mouse is wireless, does it use a USB dongle or is it just a Bluetooth mouse?

As to the slowness, you are experiencing. Can you go into the power settings for the laptop and switch the laptop over to ‘Performance.’ Does this change yield any better performance?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wi…

Regards,

Stephen
Plugable Technologies

I do not have my laptop closed, it’s open. But it sits behind me and the screen is black.

My mouse is a USB dongle.

Currently my power setting is on Power Saver, I switched recently because the fan was constantly running which was annoying. The laptop and docking station are less than 12 weeks old. I’ll change it to performance to see if that changes anything.

I have the same issue. Running windows 8, wired mouse. Using UD-3000 docking station. It’s a touchscreen laptop (Lenovo LaVie Z 360). Mouse jumps around and if you leave it hovering over an icon it will click. It seems to get worse the more I dock/un-dock until I reboot.

It is still an issue for both of the units I have here. I actually gave up on Plugable ever finding a solution.

@stephen_mccray - can we get your input on this please? Is it a known bug Plugable is working on? I assume so since your troubleshooting questions above asked " instead of using the laptop with the lid closed and the UD-3900 monitors as the only screens, can you keep the laptop open and the screen activated". Seems you have a suspicion as to what the problem is.

I was fighting this problem for a while and pulling my hair out. When I had read the suggestion about keeping the lid open I was thinking it was a similar suggestion I had read to put the laptop in airplane mode. Assumption being that the antennas are often in the lid, opening it was adding separation from the docking station. Since I had tried the airplane mode thing without success I did not try the lid thing at first. I just did it in desperation and it worked. Can someone explain why this works?

I have a:
touchscreen laptop with Windows 10
wired mouse
two external monitors

Most issues with wireless keyboards and mice are related to interference in the 2.4GHz spectrum, which is the frequency band used by wireless input devices as well as wireless networks, USB 3.0 signaling, microwaves, baby monitors, cordless phones, and other electronic devices (it’s a crowded spectrum!).

Intel and Apple both offer documents regarding this interference:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/e…

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

So the way 2.4GHz signals behave in your environment will change if your lid is open vs. shut. With it shut, the lid (and likely it’s built-in wi-fi antennas) are reflecting the 2.4GHz frequency waves in such a way as to cause additional interference. This leads to poor communication between the input device and its receiver causing frustrating laggy or erratic input.

Hope this helps!