Wake on Mouse with Thunderbolt 3?

I was wondering if TBT3 supports wake on keyboard or mouse activity? I don’t seem to be able to do it since I connected my TBT3-UDV. Laptop is MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RE. Used to work with Direct connected USB keyboard/mouse and via USB-3 Dock.

Hello and thanks for posting!

In our experience helping others, we have found that not all Thunderbolt 3 systems perform in the same manner when it comes to waking from a sleep state via a USB device connected to a Thunderbolt 3 dock. We do not have your specific model system in our test lab nor have we had any customer reports, so we cannot speak definitely in regard to its behavior (the manual for the system online does not address this topic).

Speaking in general, some systems will power off the Thunderbolt 3 port when entering a sleep state and as a result devices connected to a Thunderbolt 3 dock will not be able to power on the system. Since your system cannot be charged via its Thunderbolt 3 port, ensuring that the original MSI power adapter is connected could possibly help.

Other systems (such as the Dell XPS 13 9350) require a BIOS setting change to allow the system to wake from USB devices, which in turn also affects the behavior of USB devices connected to a Thunderbolt 3 dock.

Examining and changing what settings are available within your System BIOS for Thunderbolt 3 and USB devices (and Power settings) may provide options to change the behavior.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies

1 Like

Solved it! I had to enable “Wake on Thunderbolt”.

Thank you for getting back with the update, and appreciate you sharing the solution for your specific system.

Please let us know if you need any help in the future!

Bob

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.