wake on lan not waking pc

I have the usb 2.0 ethernet adaptor but cannot get wol to work. I can wake my computer using other usb devices in the same port and I can verify that the magic packet is received by the pc when it is awake.
I have set the wake setting on the advanced tab to “magic packet” and in the power management tab it has"only allow magic packet to wake computer"

Hi trilby,

Thanks for posting your question here. We’ll be happy to help. Can you say which of our network adapters you have?

The Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter

or

The Plugable USB 2.0 10/100 Ethernet Adapter (ASIX AX88772 Chipset)

Both of these adapters support wake on LAN functionality and require a USB host controller that also supports the S4/S5 wake-up function for hibernate(S4) or sleep(S5).

You may need to use device manager in “view –> devices by connection” mode to determine which USB host controller your device is connected to and then check the Power Data properties under the details tab of the USB host controller to see if it shows that wake from sleep is supported in the Power State Mappings.

Let me know what you find!
I hope this helps,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

Hi Jerome,

Thank you for your reply.
I have the ASIX adapter.
I have found the USB controller which the adapter is connected to and on the power management tab the “allow device to wake computer” option is greyed out.
I have wake from USB enabled in the BIOS.
A USB keyboard and eHome IR device on the same hub are both able to wake the computer.
I’m confused.

Hi trilby,

Thanks for the additional detail. We want to try and recreate your issue here so we can figure out what’s going on. Can you tell me what OS you are running and what make and model of PC?

Thanks,
Jerome

Plugable Technologies

Hi Jerome

I’m running win7 on a gigabyte GA-M57SLI S4 motherboard with the adapter connected directly into the motherboard USB socket.

I have now purchased a cheap PCI lan card and it worked first time so this is now not a problem for me but it might help others if you could find the problem.

My computer sleeps in S3 which you did not mention on your reply. Could this have been the problem?

Thanks for trying anyway

Hi trilby,

Thanks for keeping us updated with your progress. We’ll look into it and post our results as well.

Glad to hear you have a setup that’s working.

Jerome

Plugable Technologies

Hello, I’m having the same challenge as well. I have the “Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter” running on Win 7 Pro. I checked the USB host controller and sleep is supported in the Power State Mappings. I have a wireless keyboard and it can wake the laptop from sleep, but the LAN adapter does not.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for prompting us on this issue, the AX88178 USB to Ethernet chip in the Plugable USB to Gigabit Ethernet adapter does support Wake on Lan. We are still looking for a solution to this issue and will contact the chip manufacturer for support.

I’ll post back when I know more. Feel free to contact us at support@plugable.com at anytime for an update. Sorry I don’t have a better solution at this time.

Thanks,
Jerome

Plugable Technologies