W7Pro64 to W7Pro64 Old to New PC - USB 2.0 File Transfer Cable

On my new PC, I want to make a complete mirror copy of my old PC. Both are Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. In the “Upgrading to a New Computer” instructions on https://plugable.com/products/usb-eas… it advises “Do not start Windows Easy Transfer.” Does this still hold true for a complete transfer? If not, what is the best way to accomplish the complete transfer?

Hello Frank,

Thanks for reaching out on our forums with this question! We generally advise against using the Windows Easy Transfer program that is pre-installed on Windows 7 operating systems. Both Windows Easy Transfer and the Bravura Easy Computer Sync software can be used for facilitating the transfer. However, since we have instructions and can provide support for questions/issues with Bravura Easy Computer Sync but not Windows Easy Transfer, this is why we typically recommend using Bravura Easy Computer Sync over Windows Easy Transfer.

While either can be used to transfer your information, please keep in mind that programs and applications cannot be transferred. While you’d be able to transfer the files themselves over, most applications and programs likely will not work properly on the new computer due to the rest of the setup needed for said app/software not being completed (which happens during the installation of the app/program). It’s best to manually installed your apps and software on the new computer, either with the installation CDs or by re-downloading them.

Hope this information helps! If you have further questions or encounter any issues with the transfer, send an email to support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to assist!

Regards,

Patrick
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

We attempted to reach out to Frank regarding the issue on this thread, but we have not received a response back. If Frank or anyone else is experiencing the same issue, please let us know by contacting us directly at support@plugable.com, and we would be happy to assist!

Thank you for your patience,

Patrick
www.plugable.com/support

The software didn’t work, but Windows 7 Easy Transfer worked spectacularly with the USB 2.0 File Transfer Cable.

Frank

Hello Frank,

Glad to hear things worked properly when using the Windows Easy Transfer program, and apologies for the issues you had with the Bravura software! If you’d like us to look into the issue further, send an email to support@plugable.com and I’d be happy to see if I can determine what went wrong.

Sounds like that may not be necessary, but figured I’d offer just in case. Let me know if you’re interested in that, and I’ll be on the lookout for an email from you just in case.

Patrick

Not necessary. The file transfer was very smooth.

Hello Everyone,

As Frank’s issue appears to be resolved, we’ll be closing this thread. That said however, if anyone else is experiencing a similar issue or has questions, send an email to support@plugable.com and we’ll be more than happy to assist!

Patrick