Volume output is very loud

Hi there –

Just got a new 6950H and the volume output level seems to be very loud. I’m using analog, wired headphones (Grado SR-60) and all else in the system is the same. At volume output level 1, it is still louder than I would like.

I realize that I could adjust my players down, but I’d rather not do that.

Is there any option to control the audio output level of the 6950H? And of course, I haven’t read the directions :slight_smile:

Thanks!

– Otto

Hi Otto,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected.

The docking station’s audio is controlled by the Windows Audio subsystem. Windows 10 provides some advanced audio controls such as App volume however Windows does not provide the ability to adjust the scale of the volume slider or adjust the docking station audio independently of the system volume.

Based on your description of being at 1% on the audio slider and still having the audio blasting may indicate a problem in the Windows Audio subsystem treating the docking station audio incorrectly. We can start by reinstalling the DisplayLink drivers to see if this helps:

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download and run the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner utility, found here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+Installation+Cleaner+8.4.2135.exe and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it -> https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 8.6 M1 DisplayLink software, found here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+USB+Graphics+Software+for+Windows+8.6+M1.exe
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system. If the device is not detected, please reboot the system.

Please let us know if that helps get things working how they should, and we’ll go from there.

Pat

Hi, Pat –

I should clarify… I wouldn’t say that it’s blasting at 1%, but just louder than I’d like it to be, and louder than it is coming directly out of my laptop. I’d say it’s 2x-3x as loud as it was coming out of the laptop directly. This leads to me not getting enough resolution using the regular Windows volume control.

Maybe it’s just the way it is, and the output of the 6950H is just a little hotter than others. I think it’s working as it should be, but just wanted to get more granularity on my native volume controls…

Thanks.

– Otto

Hi Otto,

Thanks for the additional details, USB docking stations tend to be more inline with desktop audio ports, normally somewhat louder than laptop audio ports.

When you connect your headphones to the system’s port are you still using 1% volume or do you normally need to raise the volume level, if so how far?

Thank you,

Pat

Hi, Pat –

My very unscientific study seems to show that it’s about double. So, 14% on the 6950 is about 28% on the direct output from the laptop. I didn’t try at the lower volumes because there’s a lot of background noise where I am now, but this is generally in line.

It’s not a fatal flaw, but it would be nice if there was some option, driver, or other way to control the volume so I get more granularity when using my computer volume control.

Thanks for your help.

– Otto

Hi Otto,

Thank you for the additional testing, the docking station relies on the system volume control. A separate volume control could be placed inline however this may introduce other audio quality issues.

I am sorry I don’t have a solution to lower the volume except through the system software. For applications with separate volume controls I normally try to set the output so the system volume can be set at 50% allowing for the system volume control to have more influence on the output volume level. Please let me know if this helps.

Pat

Hello Eric,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat