Vista to win 8.. both which I hate

the install on my windows vista 32 bit will not take!! I have tried installing it 2 times and when it searches for updates it says it doesn’t need for this version. THEN when I plug the cable in the errir message says 'you need to have the lastest service pack installed… which I think I just did but it still is not working. HELP!

…and win 8 is 64 bit

Hi Taufai-

Thanks for posting with your issue, I’ll be happy to help! I’m sorry to hear that the Windows Easy Transfer application isn’t working well on your Vista PC.

Since having both Vista service packs 1 & 2 installed is required, and rebooting the PC two times (not once, service packs aren’t fully “loaded” until the second reboot after installation), rebooting the PC again might actually help with this error. To check if the service pack is loaded, simply right click “Computer” on the start menu, right click, choose properties, and make sure that your Windows version also lists Service Pack 2.

Please let me know if another reboot or two of the Vista PC helps. If it doesn’t we can always work around Windows Easy Transfer issues by using Bravura Easy Computer Sync instead.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
MCITP Enterprise Support Technician
Plugable Technologies

thank you so much! I had to reinstall the service pack and then reboot and it worked. Can I ask a follow-up question? I thought everything was going to transfer like for like… meaning all documents go to Word… xls to xls etc. BUT my music all went to windows media, even my iTunes stuff. Am I going to have to search other forum or can you help me with how to get it into my iTunes file? Please and thank you

Hi Taufai,

Jeff is off today, so I’ll answer this. Have you installed iTunes on your Windows 8 machine? You can download it from http://www.apple.com/itunes/. Once installed, those files should go back to being iTunes files.

Let me knew if it helps!

David
Plugable support

yes and I had home sharing on. Should I uninstall and reinstall?

Hi Taufai,

I’m sorry. I think maybe I misunderstood what was happening. I thought you meant that all your iTunes files had been named as Windows Media files, but now I’m thinking that you meant they have been moved to a different folder. Is that correct? If so, there is no need to uninstall and reinstall iTunes.

Instead you can follow the procedure in this link, which tells you how to point iTunes to the new location:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1364

Please let me know how this works out for you, and if you have any more questions.

Thank you,
David

i’m not sure what I meant… but I will try these steps and the link you provided. Thanks again!!

Thanks! Let me know how it works out.