Viewing Xfinity Streaming results in black screen

I use this dock to drive two monitors from a m1 MacBook Air. All works great except:

When I try to view streaming from Xfinity, I get full audio on either of the two monitors, but no video. It. is totally black. I have tried Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. The latter two worked for a while, but after upgrades, screens returned to black.

If I play any streaming straight from the computer using any of the browsers, all works fine. But when I attach and then try to play through the Plugable, the problem arises.

I have the newest version of display link installed. Any help here?

Thanks in advance, John C

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out to Plugable support! I’d be happy to help with that.

Could you please provide us with the model of the docking station or adapter that you are using?

Thank you.

Hi John,

Thank you for replying back with the additional details! My name is Pat and I will be helping out while Richard is out of the office.

This is the expected behavior when playing back HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) video streams while the DisplayLink Manager App is running on macOS. The DisplayLink Manager App requires enabling ‘Screen Recoding’ permissions within macOS in order to export video data to the docking station over USB, enabling this setting in macOS disables HDCP video playback system-wide.

HDCP is used to protect video streams for most paid video streaming services like HBO Max, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Comcast etc., non-paid services like standard YouTube don’t require HDCP and are unaffected.

I am sorry, HDCP streaming video content will be unavailable when using the docking station with the computer.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, or if there is anything else I can do to help.

Pat
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.