Video to monitors resets

Computer is an HP Spectre x360 Convertable 2840x2160 (15-df1033dx)
Two monitors are Dell U2414H set at 1920x1080, 60hz

Throughout the day, randomly, all my monitors (both Dells and the builtin HP) will start flashing and whatever I was viewing on the two Dells is now collapsed onto the 4k HP monitor. Usually I can just drag the windows back to where I want them sometimes the Dells are black and the Docking Station needs to be reset. I cannot make it happen, but it appears the more intensive the video the more likely it is going to happen. The “My Radar” app is a good example.

I’m running Windows 10 Home (10.0.18363 Build 18363), 16-GB RAM. Intel UHD Graphics and Nvidia MX250. Displaylink 9.3.3147.0

This is quite anoying when it happens during conference calls.
I’m available for troubleshooting

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

Based on your description it sounds like the connection to the docking station may be interrupted causing the displays to reset, this accounts for the flashing and for the windows being moved back to the laptop’s internal display.

The interruption could be caused by a physical connectivity problem like a USB cable not fully seated to the computer or from the USB cable/connection picking up outside interference.

The docking station includes both a USB-C and USB-A cable for connecting to the laptop, our first step is to try the second provided cable to see if the issues persist. If the issues are isolated to one cable then it could indicate a bad cable or problem with the laptop’s USB port where the cable is connected. If the issue occurs with both cables then we can take a look at other sources of interference for the connection.

Please let me know which of the two provided cables you are currently using ( either USB-A or USB-C ) and if the issue persists when using the alternate cable and we can go from here.

Thank you, I look forward to your reply.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Thanks for the reply. I have swapped out the USB-C cable and we’ll see what happens. I dont think I have the A cable any more, but I have a lot of them hanging about if it comes to that.

Hi,

Thank you for giving this a try, I look forward to seeing if this helps.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

I have not had another occurrence of the issue after swapping cables. Looks like that solved it. Thanks again.

Hello,

Thank you for letting me know this has been resolved, I will go ahead and close this thread, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com