Video streaming problem UD-6950PDZ & MacBook Pro

I am using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro with M1 Pro and the UD-6950PDZ with 3 external monitors. When I try to stream video from any of the online sources, Netflix, HBO Max…the video is black, but I can hear audio and the progress bar shows the video playing. This previously only happened with Safari, but now it won’t play on Chrome either…

Hi Tom,

Thank you for contacting us, I am sorry, HDCP video playback is not supported on macOS with the DisplayLink Manager App running.

HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) streaming video requires a protected path from the video source (website) all the way to the display. The DisplayLink Manager App requires enabling “Screen Recording” permissions within macOS in order to transmit video data over USB 3 to the docking station, this breaks the protected path and HDCP video content will fail to play. The audio is not protected and will playback.

We speak to this issue here (https://kb.plugable.com/question/1606801), and on our product page’s Compatibility tab in the Currently unsupported configurations and features subsection: (https://plugable.com/products/ud-6950pdz#nav-compatibility).

Some streaming services will provide alternative streams for computers without HDCP support, these are generally lower resolution (720P/1080P instead of 4K and/or have reduced audio features (like 2.1 audio channels instead of 5.1 audio channels), the service should automatically switch to these streams when HDCP is not detected. It may be possible to force the unprotected stream by disabling hardware graphics acceleration in either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browsers.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, or if there is anything else I can do to help.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com