VGA to HDMI adapter with the NIX capture card?

Can I use a VGA to HDMI adapter with the NIX capture card? I don’t mind if their is no audio, I just need video working on my laptop from another machine with a VGA output.

Hi Kian,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I would be more than happy to assist!

In order for the NIX HDMI Streaming & Capture Card to capture both audio and sound on your system (and output to a display via the “out” port) you will need to utilize a direct HDMI to HDMI cable, and you cannot utilize any “Conversion” based cables or adapters.

I hope this information helps, please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns, and I would be more than happy to assist.

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

But your FAQ for the NIX says adapters work. For some reason I think Im going crazy because I cant find the info that was on your site yesterday. But it said something about using adapters on the product page.

I just need Video, dont need audio. I cant use a VGA to HDMI and get video?

Found it, it was the amazon product description:

Product Information
COMPATIBILITY - *Mac systems can be used for recording other platforms but are not compatible as input source. macOS and iOS devices and other platforms that force HDCP content protection like Bluray players, Roku, Netflix, etc, are not supported sources. Not for use with medical or government/military equipment. HDMI Pass-through supports a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 at 60HZ. Pass-through does support use of DVI/VGA/DP to HDMI conversion cables or adapters.

(https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Performance-Capture-Passthrough-Monitor/dp/B07JLCJF96/ref=asc_df_B07JLCJF96/

Also, I do not need to pass through. I just need to stream my old Server’s VGA output to my laptops usb-c connection with OBS/etc.

Hi There,

Thank you so much for sending this information over! I sincerely apologize for this error in the listing. It should read that it “does not support” the use of conversion cables, due to how the capture card relays the information from the connected source to the host system. I have revised this error on all product pages, and I appreciate you pointing this out so much! We do say that conversion adapters are not supported in other parts of the FAQ and inside of the description of the listing, but we clearly had an incorrect bullet point added, and it has already been revised.

We do not support the use of conversion cables with this capture card, as it requires a direct HDMI to HDMI connection in order to ensure the source is captured properly.

I hope this information helps, please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns, and I would be more than happy to assist!

Thank you for your time,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Just so you guys know, it DOES work.

I hooked up an Active VGA to HDMI adapter cable and got Video during POST and can work in my BIOS through OBS.

1 Like

Thanks so much for letting us know!