Using Multiple Monitors M1 Max

Hi,

I previously had a two external monitors(Xiaomi Mi Curved)/clamshell setup working using an Intel based MacBook Pro via my TBT3-UDZ hub. These were connected using DisplayLink rather than through USB-C.

I’ve just got a new MacBook Pro with an M1 Max chipset and the screen does not display on the monitors. The monitors are recognised in the Display Settings of the Mac’s System Preferences. I’m running MacOS 12.0.1.

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.

Hello Benny,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

1. How are these two Xiaomi monitors currently being connected to the docking station? Using the HDMI or DisplayPort outputs?

2. Are you connecting the TBT3-UDZ dock to your new M1 Max system using the 0.8m 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 cable the dock shipped with? I ask because if using a third party USB-C cable it could prevent the dock from functioning correctly.

3. You mentioned that the monitors are recognized by macOS but aren’t displaying anything - could the monitors be set to the wrong input by accident somehow?

4. If you are using our cable and have verified the monitor inputs, our next step would be a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock with your two monitors attached to it into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

When emailing us the diagnostics results (do not post here!) please mention ticket 360460 in the subject line.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Many thanks for your prompt reply. To answer your questions:

1. Both monitors are connected via DisplayPorts.
  2. Yes, I am using the cable supplied with the dock.
  3. I double checked and I do not believe so.
  4. I have performed this step and send the debug information, with the ticket number to support.

Many thanks for your help Josh!

1 Like

Thanks for the information! We’ve received your email as well. I’ll be taking a look and will reply back with any suggestions.

Best wishes,
Josh

Hello Benny,

Thanks for sending the diagnostics! Looking at them it appears like you’re trying to run your displays at 144Hz which is not supported:

Chipset Model: Apple G13X
  Type: GPU
  Bus: Built-In
  Total Number of Cores: 32
  Vendor: Apple (0x106b)
  Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily Apple 7
  Displays:
    Color LCD:
      Display Type: Built-in Liquid Retina XDR Display
      Resolution: 3024 x 1964 Retina
      Main Display: Yes
      Mirror: Off
      Online: Yes
      Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
      Connection Type: Internal
    Mi Monitor:
      Resolution: 3440 x 1440 (UWQHD - Ultra-Wide Quad HD)
      UI Looks like: 3440 x 1440 @ **144.00Hz**​
      Mirror: Off​
      Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes
    Mi Monitor:
      Resolution: 3440 x 1440 (UWQHD - Ultra-Wide Quad HD)
      UI Looks like: 3440 x 1440 @ **144.00Hz**​
      Mirror: Off
      Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes

Can you set them down to 60Hz (the maximum officially supported by the dock) and see if they operate correctly?

Best wishes,

Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.