Using iMac as a second monitor to a PC laptop

I’m trying to use my late model imac as a 2nd display to a PC based laptop with the USB 2.00 UGA-125, but I can’t get it to work. The PC acts like it has a second screen and the adapter light is active, but activity on the imac - using a DVI-D cable and adapter. Can you help?

Hi Mark - thanks for your purchase and your question! We haven’t used an iMac as a monitor, so we need to do some research on it – in particular any limitations, what modes it supports, and what it reports for EDID back to the graphics card. Once we know the differences from a normal monitor, we should be able to figure out what’s wrong, and hopefully what it takes to get it working. Will reply back then. Thanks for your patience!

Bernie,
Thank you for your response, but I have just discovered that I had been given some misinformation about the iMac’s input. Turns out it only accepts DisplayPort data and not DVI or HDMI as I had been told. I’m afraid I’ll have to return this unit and try to find one that will convert VGA or USB to DisplayPort signals. Any chance you’re familiar with hardware of this type? Thank you again.
Best regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

No problem on the return. We understand. Let us know if you have any trouble with the Amazon process.

Unfortunately, researching what you we’re trying to do, We weren’t able to find any hardware that would do it with confidence. This ability for the iMac to act as a monitor appears to really be designed and tested by Apple to work for the case where the source is another DisplayPort Mac. HW conversion from DVI doesn’t appear to work.

Best wishes,
Bernie