Using a Nix capture card with a Dell display port

I bought a card the other day, spose to arrive tomorrow but I thought I would try to figure out what I need to hook it up to all three of my Dell computers. The first system is a Dell Optiplex 7020 MT with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti video card. It is currently hooked up to my monitor via DVI cable, but I believe it also has an HDMI output so I don’t really anticipate any problems there. The second system is a Dell Optiplex 3020 with a display port output hooked to an adapter which changes the signal to HDMI. The HDMI cable is hooked up to my Samsung 32 inch TV/monitor and it works fine. I assume there just hook up the Nix capture card using a short HDMI cable to the card and then the HDMI from the TV plugged into the output on the card. Again I anticipate no problems here. Now the third setup is a Dell Optiplex 9020 hooked up to a Dell monitor via a display port cable. So my question is, can I hook up the same type of adapter I used with system 2 to go into the capture card, but I’m not sure this same type of adapter will work going from HDMI out on the capture card to display port on the monitor. I know from experiences in the past that not all adapter work both ways. Appreciate any advice on this matter. Thanks!
Doug

Okay, being the impatient type, I went ahead and did some searching and came up with the following items:

For the output port of the capture card to the Dell monitor I came up with this

https://www.amazon.com/Displayport-Converter-BolAAzuL-Gold-Plated-Connector/dp/B07Q3VDXN8/ref=sr_1_18?crid=2MECWVJN3I4J2&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Eq4J_INntD_ZdrVxKVe5ArEZmd9wYuhyXfwH124SgNVpefOjFfPTwEPQ32aJppqiMqsj7M6lz3j5FkYMxcbnp6OQOWsZwmSi1MfY3z3Nhs7AlaDKL60pCR6Qfs6vvMVyCI17EZ_VPtqGkJGB9uQSSxoYilviGjD4_ycbLcopl9rlC3xDY5dImi4kZDMu9xgc9ECPX0gzldJzhUyF3iaUF7qwMdLnk4YaNB7LwcuihLc.MEqF_IswXRK9EZayE3xFsRi8C-SdqdndonRQb42jjmc&dib_tag=se&keywords=hdmi%2Bto%2Bdisplayport&qid=1705683176&sprefix=%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-18&th=1

And for the displayport output from the computer to the HDMI input of the capture card I got this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355382975676

I will report back once everything arrives and the setup has been tested. Or if you have any other comments or suggestions by all means post a reply.

Thanks

Hello Doug,

Welcome to the Plugable forums! I can certainly help with setting up our USB-CAP60 with your Dell systems and how it will be compatible with it. As you have three systems I will segment my responses down below on its compatibility with our USB-CAP60 with your Dell desktops and monitors. As for monitor compatibility the USB-CAP60 supports a resolution of 1920x1080p at 60hz.

System 1 - Dell Optiplex 3020, with a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter should be fine for compatibility.

System 2 - Dell Optiplex 7020MT, with a Nvidia 750ti should be fine as the GPU and display both have HDMI.

System 3 - Dell Optiplex 9020, this one may not work as we haven’t tested HDMI to DisplayPort from our USB-CAP60.

Could you share with us the make and model of your monitor intended for your 3rd system so we can further review this setup?

Thanks,
Alberto
Plugable Technologies

Thanks for the reply Alberto. The Dell monitor I am using is:

Dell 24 Inch FHD Computer Monitor - P2422H

I believe the only video inputs is a VGA connector and the Displayport. As I have it hooked up via the Displayport at the present time I can tell you the monitor works just fine.

As I was looking for an HDMI to Displayport adapter, there were a lot that had a third cable for USB power. The one I bought does not have that, but I figured the USB-CAP60 would be getting power from the USB 3 cable connection. If this is not the case, then the adapter I bought may not work. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hello Doug,

As for this 3rd monitor in your setup, the Dell 24 Inch - P2422H it appears that it does have an HDMI port as shown from Dell’s website which I will leave a link to that product page here. It looks like it has a HDMI, DisplayPort, and a VGA port.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-24-inch-fhd-computer-monitor-p2422h/apd/210-bbcc/monitors-monitor-accessories

Could you check the back of this monitor and confirm it does indeed have the HDMI port? If that is the case then an adapter would not be needed.

Thanks,
Alberto
Plugable Technologies

Not sure how I missed it as that is the page I looked at to see what ports it did have. That will greatly improve the situation I’m sure. Being as I have already bought the cable, I will also test that to see if it does work or not. I will report back when I have both the capture card and the cable adapter.

Thanks so much for your assistance. It is very much appreciated.

Doug

Okay, I did get the chance to test the HDMI to DisplayPort adapter on the monitor end and it does work, just in case someone runs into this problem. I am using mine with the HDMI on the monitor though as it seems easier to do.

Hi Doug,

I’m glad to hear that the HDMI to DisplayPort adapter is working for you! It’s nice to have options on how to connect to your monitor with different types of connections. If anything else comes up feel free to reach out to us at anytime.

Thanks,
Alberto
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.