USB3-HUB7BC No longer functioning after power outage

Hello,

I have a pair of USB3-HUB7BC which have been working fine for a while now. Earlier this week there was a power outage at my home and after the power came back on one of the two was no longer working.

To be specific, the power LED does not light, even when I press the power button, and the hub does not seem to be detected at all by my computer. After trying some external troubleshooting steps, like exchanging the power transformer with my working unit, switching out the USB cables, etc, I determined it’s the hub itself that seems to have developed a fault.

I disassembled the non-functioning unit and probed it with my multimeter and curiously I can see the 12V supply on the drain pins on the U10 and U15 MOSFETs, and I can see it toggle on and off as expected when I press the power button, indicating to me that the switch and power supply are functioning. (The board is labelled 2014.11.06 H9978-U3-BC1.2-R1.0.)

I also found LED1 – the blue power LED – and I can see a small voltage being applied to it whenever the power is on. Again, this toggles on and off when I press the power button, but the LED itself doesn’t light. I didn’t probe around the rest of the board but when the power is active I can see the expected 5V power on the USB ports.

It seems like something in the digital part of the board isn’t functioning even though the power parts are. I realize that the above isn’t a lot to go on, and I’m sure this is a longshot, but I was wondering is this a familiar failure mode and whether there’s some likely candidates I can peek at next. I expect I’ll be another one of these anyway since I need it for my laptop, but it’d be nice to save this one from e-waste if the problem could be with a simple component I can easily replace. (Obviously I’ll take full responsibility if my attempted repairs make matters worse!)

Thanks

Hi There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us! I am so sorry to hear that a Power Surge has caused this issue, but I would be more than happy to assist.

This particular issue is fairly uncommon, and it could be related to a numerous amount of components, and it would be difficult for us to attempt to narrow down what could be causing the issue without having the unit here in our testing labs. With that being said, I would be more than happy to have a pretested replacement unit sent out as soon as possible. If you have a moment, please reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com, and we can work on having a 1-time courtesy replacement unit sent out, so that we can get you back up and running! Please include “Ticket no. 271419” in the subject line, so we can keep all of your information in the same place. Please also include the Amazon Order ID Number associated with the purchase, just so we can make sure sending out a replacement unit is possible.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

We attempted to reach out to the customer to send a direct email to our support team in order to work on replacing the unit the customer is using, but we did not receive a reply back. If the customer would like to continue working through the replacement process, or anyone else is running into the same issue, please reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com, and we would be more than happy to work on the next steps.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support