USB3-HUB7-81X: No blue light/signal out until power plug pulled out and pushed back in!

I have a new USB3-HUB7-81X Hub. I’m using it with a Packard Bell Easynote TS, Intel i5-2410M laptop, at the moment with only one USB3 output into a Hitachi 3 Gig Desktop Hard Drive: 2TB/To (Touro Desk DX3). My problem is that when I boot up my computer the hard drive is not powered up by the USB3 Hub. I have to pull out the power plug from the rear of the hub and push it back in (with the computer running) before the hub switches a signal through to the hard drive (the blue light over the USB3 outlet socket on the hub remains off until this is done). It isn’t a major problem; the hub works perfectly well otherwise as I have completed two backups through it, fast and efficiently. Have you any ideas why this might be occurring, and is there a simple cure?

Hi John David-

To get started troubleshooting, let’s first verify what firmware version your hub is running. Details to do this are at the link below. Please let us know if you have other questions.

http://plugable.com/2013/01/29/via-us…

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
MCITP Enterprise Support Technician
Plugable Technologies

Thanks for the very quick response, Jeff. A bit strange this one, but it looks as though the problem is solved: I dabbled with it a little more after making contact with you initially. I only had the one item plugged into #7 connection on the hub (the Hitachi Hard Drive). I was beginning to think that the problem was that the hard drive needed to be connected directly to the laptop USB3 port, as I had read that some do. Anyway, I plugged the hard drive into #2 port and a redundant wireless mouse into the #1 port and booted up the computer. The hard drive activated straight away (its blue light was flashing and indicating that it was “reading” info so I knew that it was okay). The mouse became operable when the drivers had loaded.

I’ve since turned the laptop on and off several times, returned the hard drive to the #7 port on the hub, and everything has been fine since! Could it have been a firmware problem and might that have “bumped” the upgrade when I changed the position of the two plugs in the ports? Could the extra loading have triggered some action? Anyhow, I DON’T now have to pull the power plug out of the hub and push it back in - my little blue lights seem to be behaving themselves! I’m still curious as to what you might think though… Thanks, Jeff!

Hi John David-

To be honest I don’t really know what might have been at issue, there are really too many possibilities to go through, but I’m glad to hear you’re up and running now.

Please let us know if we can assist in the future.

Best-

Jeff