USB3.0 4K HDMI adapter doesn't work as expected

Hi, I’m using a USB 3.0 4k HDMI adapter with an Asus VX24AH monitor at its native resolution of 2560x1440 for productivity applications (no gaming). I have a Lenovo Thinkpad S440 laptop, i7 with 8GB RAM, running Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit. I have a second Asus VX24H connected to the laptop’s own HDMI port. Occasionally, let’s say every hour or so, the monitor connected through the USB adapter freezes and displays a random color on all screen.
The only workaround is unplugging and plugging back the USB cable, which is quite annoying.

I tried updating drivers for monitors, USB adapter and graphic card; I tried unplugging only the HDMI cable from monitor; I tried disabling f.lux software; I tried connecting only one monitor with the USB adapter; I tried using a USB 2.0 port and disconnecting all other USB devices; I tried connecting the adapter to a USB 3.0 port both directly on my laptop and on its docking station. All with no success.

Any help appreciated before I give up and return the adapter to Amazon. Thanks,

Marco

Hi Marco,

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry your adapter isn’t working as expected, and I would be happy to help!

Thank you for the excellent detail about your setup, the symptoms and the troubleshooting you have performed, you did a great job and that helps me a lot. It sounds like the adapter itself may be faulty (in which case we will of course send a replacement), but to help rule out a software issue that would cause the replacement to behave in the same manner, just after the behavior has occurred please keep everything connected and send us the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug as this will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps. Please send this file to support@plugable.com with Ticket 131944 in the subject line along with your Amazon Order ID number and the serial number from the adapter itself and we’ll go from there.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support