USB2-E100 download limited at 10Mbps. Upload goes faster.

With a Microsoft Surface Pro I am only able to get 10Mbps on downloads with the USB2-E100 – it almost seems as if there is some throttle at 10Mbps. However, my upload speed will exceed 10Mbps… up until about 17-18Mbps. I have updated drivers on Windows 8 64-bit. What else can I do?

Hello Ja Christopher,

Thanks for posting your question here, we’ll be happy to help. There shouldn’t be anything about the adapter or it’s drivers that would throttle your download speed – especially considering that the upload speed is faster. There could be a bottleneck anywhere along the line that’s causing slower downloads. Try using something like speedtest.net and see if there’s any difference. This will help rule out some variables so that each test will be relative to the others.

To troubleshoot we’ll want to isolate the Surface and it’s ethernet adapter from the upstream hardware.

The first suspect would be something on the network side, so to troubleshoot try taking the surface to a different location in a different network if possible.

If there isn’t another network that you can connect to, try using a different cable or a different port on the router.

I hope this helps! Let me know what you find.

Best Regards,
Jerome.

A different PC on the same Ethernet cable posts speeds far above what I’m seeing w/ the Surface and adapter. Wifi on the same PC is faster than the adapter. I have also re-installed Windows 8.

The only thing I have not tried yet is to put the adapter on a different PC… but the upload is 250% faster than download on the adapter… so it would seem that it is at least capable of faster speeds.

Hi Christopher-

Thanks for getting back to us, and sorry for our delayed response. Hopefully you’re up and running by now but please let us know if you’re still having any issues.

If you are still seeing problems, I’d definitely recommend testing the adapter with another PC on a known good ethernet connection. Normally I would recommend trying other USB ports on your Surface, but since the surface has only one port we’ll have to use another PC instead. If it looks like the adapter is faulty let us know, but from reading over your initial findings I suspect that there may be an issue with the USB port on the Surface.

Again, sorry for the delayed response. Please do let us know if you’re still having trouble.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technologies

Thanks for the follow-up, we’ve tested it on another PC and have the same issue. We are currently looking at the switch as we are seeing transmission errors from our domain controller.

Hi again-

Just wanted to send a quick note to see if errors were indeed isolated to a switch. Please don’t hesitate to shoot a mail to support@plugable.com if posts here are ever waiting too long for a reply.

Best wishes-

Jeff