USB2-2PORT works with Kindle but not iphone.

I’m using the USB2-2PORT with a Universal Battery Charger with USB output to use to charge my iphone and Kindle. The output of the charger is 500Ma. When I plug in the Kindle, the charging light comes on, but when the iphone is plugged in, it doesn’t display charging. What’s wrong with it?

Hi Clev,

Thanks for contacting Plugable. I’m sorry that the USB2-2PORT hub does not seem to meet the needs of your usage scenario.

In general we don’t recommend using unpowered hubs in any charging scenarios. We will look at making our Amazon.com product listing for the two-port hub more declarative on this matter to eliminate any misunderstandings. Sorry we weren’t sufficiently clear at the time you made your purchase.

Apple devices add a new wrinkle. We have our own support document/whitepaper on what happens when if you try to use a Plugable (or any USB 2.0-compliant) powered hub for iPhone, iPod, or iPad charging at http://plugable.com/2012/03/13/chargi….

Although that document is written for users of powered hubs, you might find that the same advice applies that your iPhone will charge if you turn it off after plugging it into the two-port hub connected to the power source.

All this is necessary because Apple has implemented proprietary USB extensions in its product ecosystem for charging that don’t interact nicely with standard USB 2.0 hubs. You can see Apple’s statement on this matter here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4049?vi….

Even without Apple’s proprietary work that makes charging difficult, you might find that other USB 2.0 devices (unlike the Kindle) don’t charge as expected when connected to your battery charger–regardless of whether the two-port hub is in use. Despite the total amperage that the battery charger outputs, USB 2.0-compliant devices will not draw more than 100 milliamps of current via a USB connection if there is no computer as the USB power source with which the device can negotiate to pull up to the USB 2.0 maximum of 500 milliamps. And even if a device (like the Kindle) will pull as much current from the battery charger as is available, attaching the two-port hub will diminish some of the available current, because the hub’s controller consumes some of that power.

Please let us know if the workaround of turning the iPhone off once it’s connected to the hub does solve the problem. If it does not or it’s not what you want to do, I encourage to use http://amazon.com/returns to return your product for a refund. We don’t want anyone to have spent money on a Plugable product that doesn’t meet their needs.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

Thank you for your prompt and informative reply, Aaron. I purchased the "Super Universal LCD Charger with USB output, plus your double USB feeder from Amazon. To eliminate a lot of cables, I wanted the charger for AA and AAA batteries and the USB output for my Kindle, iphone, and Bluetooth, which uses the same interface as the Kindle. So, in theory, I could plug in your double interface, and keep the Kindle and iphone cable plugged in to use when needed; not necessarily at the same time. The Kindle requires 350 mA and charges with no problem. I haven’t timed the charge. The iphone Will Not charge while ‘on’, but thanks to your reply, when I turn it off, it charges rapidly. I think this configuration will work for me; time will tell. Right now, it does, and again, I thank you.

Hi Clev,

Thanks for your detailed explanation of your configuration. I’m so happy to hear that our advice seemed to resolve your iPhone charging issue. Should you have other support needs from Plugable, don’t hesitate to write us again. We’re here to help!

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies